Cannot taste tobacco/keep it lit/whats the point in sipping?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scousebaccy

Lurker
Jul 30, 2016
Hi, first time poster.
Basically I'm 27 and last year (August 15) I've smoked fleetingly and on and off since then. But this month is probably the most serious/often I've tried to make it a habit. Its a hobby I would very much like to enjoy.
Anyway I've watched a LOT of videos and read many forums and the most annoying things about some of the advice I've seen is it simply does not work - for instance
1. When i SIP, nobody explains how you actually do this - is it sucking in? But then how do you do that without inhaling? I'm scared to sip in case I inhale, as it seems to me like that means breathing in. If you breathe in, you inhale right? Also why is it whenever i sip or smoke slowly, as advised - my tobacco constantly goes out? Yet everyone seems to say sipping slowly keeps the smoke cool and the bowl lit. Yet this never happens.

2. When I smoke faster, my tobacco burns too much = kills the taste.

3. I cannot taste anything anyway - this is possibly because when I tend to pack it too tight it has no room to expand, so then when i pack it a lot less tight its too free and does not stay lit. Perfect storm. But why cant I taste anything? It just tastes of bland ash/warm but not hot smoke.

4. Whenever i try to 'char' the tobacco it either wont do this properly or if it does i basically do it. I've watched a video about this and the guy saying how 'easy' it is to 'lightly coat' the tobacco but when I do that it either doesn't char or I just over do it and plain cremate it. https://youtu.be/-D1quo_NURk?t=1220

5. How on earth do people smoke a pipe (physically,step by step) without using their hands nor inhaling?

6. I've tried many methods for packing - the 'stick it in your hand and roll the pipe over the tobacco' so it goes into a spiral. Yet this usually overpacks it and it won't stay lit. I try the 3 step method and my draw is too free, and I try trial and error and i cant taste anything/it wont stay lit.
So far I've only fluked one good smoke and that was ages ago (Dunhill Early Morning Pipe) and it was wonderful.
What on earth am I doing wrong/could i be doing instead?

May 4, 2015
Sadly, I'm off to a gig, else I'd write you a novel about all this, young Padawan. You've come to the right place, though. If you're interested in learning and getting some enjoyment out of this thing, your patience will be rewarded.

May 4, 2015
So far I've only fluked one good smoke and that was ages ago (Dunhill Early Morning Pipe) and it was wonderful.
You did something right. Why not try that again until you can nail it 7/10 or 8/10 times. Sounds like you enjoyed that blend.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
Two things will help you right off the bat. Dry out your tobacco before packing it. Leave it on the counter, or a plate, and let it dry to the point of just before getting crispy. If it crisps on you, put it back in the tin or jar to rehydrate a bit then pull it out (maybe 30 minutes or so depending on your climate). I'm in Hawaii and its pretty humid here, so I leave mine out for an hour or more. It would be 5 minutes if I were in Vegas, for example.
Second, Google the "Frank Method" for packing your pipe. It's the best sipping packing method I've found. Ever since I started packing my pipes that way, the enjoyment factor has skyrocketed.
Hope this helps.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
When i SIP, nobody explains how you actually do this - is it sucking in? But then how do you do that without inhaling? I'm scared to sip in case I inhale, as it seems to me like that means breathing in. If you breathe in, you inhale right?
Same as sipping a drink with a straw. Don't inhale then do you? Slowly coax smoke out of the stem with the vacuum of your mouth and not your lungs.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
3 step packing method, fill the pipe with baccy, tamp it down to the half way mark, not hard, fill again, tamp down to the 3/4's mark, fill again, lightly tamp.
Lighting, light the pipe, tobacco will expand, let it go out, tamp lightly.

Light again, let tobacco go out, tamp lightly again.

Light 3rd time, this is the true light, after this is when you smoke.

The draw after you pack should be very little resistance, too much, empty the pipe and start over, do this before you light.
Personally I don't clench, I've been smoking a pipe for 5 years and have it down pat, but clenching has never appealed to me, I don't think it can be good for the teeth, plus I find I end up with too much drool going down the stem into the pipe.

If you aren't sipping, you're smoking too fast and you'll get some major tongue burn. Personally I don't like my tobacco cripsy dry, Dunhill EMP comes at the perfect moisture out of the tin. You should use that as a reference. What blends are you smoking? If it's straight Va's I suggest stick to blends like EMP, My Mixture 965 etc.. Va's are for when you're a champ.

I also inhale, I'll sip a few puffs until there's a good volume of smoke, and then inhale the last bit. Sipping is drawing the tobacco into the mouth, I did this smoking cigs so it wasn't hard to do when I picked up the pipe. You don't want to puff and puff like a locomotive, or you'll feel the burn. It's a learning curve for alot of people, alot of people when their about top give up finally get it. Pack on the looser side then the tighter side, you can always tamp down. Don't tamp too much or you'll pack the bowl to tight. Hope this helps. Different blends appeal to different folks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. Whoa, I think you are way over-thinking this. It might help if you could spend some time around pipe smokers, to watch what they do. Lacking that, I guess youTube might help a little, although some of those folks are prone to show off. Pipe smoking is an easy, gentle, reflective ritual. The flavor and physical effects don't slam you like a Tiki Bar cocktail. It's all pretty quiet and meditative. Relax and let the flavor come to you. Don't do it more often than it appeals to you. It's not a contest. Don't set goals so much. I think it will sneak up on you and you'll be greatly pleased.

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
I'm new here as well and having a few of the same issues. I've read through so many posts here and I'm slowly getting the hang of it. These set of Youtube videos are so much better than the one you posted IMHO, this guy explains a LOT and really helped me. Hope you can get some use out of it.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF038D14740357930
I unfortunately only have Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey to sample right now. I I can't wait to try some of the other blends light the one you mentioned.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Lots of good suggestions from the guys, as usual. My 2 cents is that the easiest way to improve quickly might be to attend a pipe club meeting or go to a B&M and let them help you in person, assuming you have access to either of those.

scousebaccy

Lurker
Jul 30, 2016
What I smoke varies. From Aromatics (Cherry & Vanilla/ Toffee & Vanilla/ Orange Dream - all house blends) to Davidoff Blue Mixture, Peterson Old Dublin/Sherlock Holmes, and some samples of Dunhill EMP/965/nightcap etc
The last week its been the Cherry & Vanilla, Davidoff Blue Mixture and Sherlock Holmes. The first 1 is in a Mason Jar, DBM has been in the tin a while and opened up several times and Sherlock Holmes is still fairly moist. Contradictory opinions on when to smoke what at what moisture/dryness also confuse and frustrate me.
I'm basically of a mind to get the Sherlock Holmes Peterson Blend (its my most moist) in one pipe and the cherry and vanilla out of my Mason Jar in another pipe and just stick to those two and trial and error it all.
As i say though my tobacco constantly is tasteless, if i 'sip' it goes out if I puff it goes too hot and tastes of nothing and if i air on the side of caution the way i sip/puff or pack the thing it goes out. Constantly.
I smoke with a MM Corn Cob and to be honest with its loose stem and it constantly debunking the claims from some that it 'stays lit mostly' I'm beginning to think its a cheap and over rated pipe. Preferred my reject old briar.
However nobody tells you how you sip, because if you sip slowly/lightly/long your not sucking so nothing comes through and that also means the pipe goes out. But everybody talks like a Connoisseur and insists you must do this.
My theory is stick the tobacco in your hand and basically roll it into the pipe so it fills itself like a spiral - although sometimes this has either packed it too tight or too loose. I guess I am still getting used to the larger MM Corn Cob (Country Legend) Bowl.
Then with my Peterson Pipe Lighter (these when moving from matches are hard to get used to actually as the flame is far more full on = over caution about cremating my baccy) I just try to lightly char it, and from a post i seen from the 'keeping it lit' sticky just absolutely dose the bowl with the flame.
Heres where the confusion sets in, irrespective if I've packed it right. I then have a choice, puff hard to get the oxygen in and the bowl going but contradict everyone who tells you to sip and risk cremating my tobacco, or sip slow without any idea how to do a SLOW SIP but LONG (?) and risk the tobacco going out even if i get a small hint of taste.
Basically I am confused. Why am I constantly smoking tasteless tobacco, is it the way i pack/overlight it or store it? I used Mason Jars and make sure my Tobacco Tins are tight. However some videos (StuffNThings) by letting some tins dry it all out is not a bad thing. I must have a palate because I've actually tasted Dunhill EMP before, but that was a complete fluke of a bowl - I got like a smoky,spicy smoked bacon taste with almost a golden texture - thats the Latakia right?
By far the most annoying problem is when to sip/puff and how much, and along with packing it wrong I reckon also affects the smoke/taste/lighting problem.
Puff = Pipe goes too hot - burns your tobacco too much - kills taste.
Sip - not enough oxygen in the bowl - pipe goes out.
Its kind of bizarre though because when i watch Youtube channels of Old Guys or experienced pipe smokers they are saying one thing but doing the other. They talk about sipping, but then puff about 4-5 times a minute and with some severity.

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
@scousebaccy This is why I linked that Youtube video play list. That guy SHOWS you how to light your pipe, keep it going and not to worry about relighting. He also explains and shows sipping. I just watched the videos today and they were very well done and super informative. He shows around 7 examples of how to pack the pipe.
He even goes into detail about how to dry or rehydrate the tobacco.
I think lessons 70 - 76 will answer your questions and SHOW you to help it make sense. Give it a try and let us know if that worked. Also DONT give up, you will get it eventually - I know I'm not. :)

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Do you have access to blends like Carter Hall or Prince Albert? Both are very forgiving, and very easy to keep lit. Great beginner tobaccos, but I still enjoy them after 25 years of piping.

scousebaccy

Lurker
Jul 30, 2016
@lotharen - I've seen that guy many times on Youtube before, but not his playlist on the basics.
Will have to try Carter Hall

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Ah, then may I suggest Condor? Similar burning qualities of Carter Hall, and a wonderful smoke.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
What can be frustrating is that a technique that works well for one person may not work at all for another, which is why you sometimes read contradictory advice. No matter how many videos you watch it can still take a lot of trial and error to get dialed in. This is why there is typically a long learning curve in pipe smoking. I think the idea of sticking with two or three tobaccos to start may be helpful. It also may be helpful to start with something like Carter Hall because burley tobacco tends to stay lit easily. There may be lots of things going awry here so let's look at them.
The pipe- Cobs typically do smoke very well. A loose stem could mean a bad leak. Pitch it and spend another $5 for a new one or use your briar if you feel it is better quality.
The tobacco- As I mentioned earlier, a burley based blend will be easier to keep lit, assuming you like the flavor of it. Burley generally has a nutty taste. As far as the moisture level of the tobacco, it can get confusing because different people will dry the same blend to quite different levels based on their experience of how well it burns and tastes. How do you tell how moist a blend is? The test equipment is right on the end of your hand. With time your fingers will let you know if it's right. If it is way too moist it will be hard to keep lit and it will create lots of steam which will give your tongue a rough ride.
Packing- I tried lots of methods and finally just started to do it my way. Don't even ask me how because I couldn't explain it. I still screw it up now and then.
Lighting- My biggest mistake in the beginning was not getting the pipe lit well to start off. If the pipe doesn't get going, it constantly goes out (and quickly). You do need to puff somewhat aggressively to get the thing lit. After a good light you can back off and start to sip and find a rhythm. I draw in the smoke just by dropping my jaw a bit which creates a slight vacuum and pulls the smoke in. It's better to draw slowly and softly rather than quickly and hard. You don't want to heat up the pipe more than necessary. When the tobacco gets too hot it usually tastes like crap.
As I said earlier, if you can attend a pipe club meeting or go to a good B&M it could speed your learning curve quite a bit. Good luck and stay patient.

Mar 1, 2014
Basically I am confused. Why am I constantly smoking tasteless tobacco, is it the way i pack/overlight it or store it? I used Mason Jars and make sure my Tobacco Tins are tight. However some videos (StuffNThings) by letting some tins dry it all out is not a bad thing. I must have a palate because I've actually tasted Dunhill EMP before, but that was a complete fluke of a bowl - I got like a smoky,spicy smoked bacon taste with almost a golden texture - thats the Latakia right?
You first develop your palette over a period of months, maybe weeks for some but it's certainly not a quick process.

The first time I tried Molto Dolce it was nothing but hot air, a month later it's marshmallows. That happened a lot in my first three months of infrequently smoking a pipe (usually twice a week, which is roughly the pace I've kept over the last two years).
Keep trying, but forget about trying to make it taste like anything, concentrate on rhythm. Flavor will come later.
For me, the definition of a "sip" is about 2 cubic centimeters of air volume, one of those every five to ten seconds.

Anything more and I suffer a lot of irritation in the soft tissue of my mouth, which is not entirely the fault of the pipe, my dentist says that the tissue in my mouth is generally extremely sensitive.

That said, a reasonable sip for someone less sensitive is probably a larger draw, but I'm betting we're all in the same ballpark, though I'm probably always going to be heavily reliant on my lighter where others may not be.
If I could go back in time I would have categorized my tobacco primarily by burning characteristics. I do make that note every time I smoke a bowl, but burning rate may very well be more valuable than flavor for people like me.
Let the flame do the work.

My best lighter is a butane torch. Some of my best bowls have been with a wet flake, I just puff on it a few times between regular applications of the torch. Great flavor, and "eventually" it dries out after scorching it enough to the point that it stays lit "more rather than less".

I did some experiments with a few blends, and some kinds of tobacco burn excessively slow regardless of moisture content. Leave some Brown Rope out for a week and it'll still almost refuse to burn at all unless you cut it very fine.

Thus, I suggest categorizing your tobacco by burning characteristics at first.
Just get comfortable with the routine for now, use your lighter often, that's perfectly fine. If I use matches a lot of blends make me go through almost an entire box for every bowl.

There's nothing wrong with training wheels when you're starting out. Make it enjoyable first, then worry about the particulars.

Status
Not open for further replies.