PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've always had a great appreciation for thoughtfully made objects created for a singular purpose. A pen, a pipe, a lighter, a wristwatch, or a cane, when masterfully made, become something special. Over the course of my seemingly never ending series of back surgeries and their effect on my left leg, a cane has become at times necessary. Has anyone else here developed an affinity for canes? Would love to see photos of some...

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I dig those!
I also walk with a cane, having a bad left leg as well. I started with a collapsible 'medical' cane; however, my wife picked me up a (some would call cheezy) wooden cane with a chrome skull for the handle. It has led me to want to collect some other canes. If I have to use one, might as well express myself.
Thanks for sharing! I will see if I have a photo around here somewhere.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Awesome Jeff! That's my attitude as well. If you must be forced to use one why not a nice one? I wanted a skull one but haven't found the right one yet.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Yes, I to use a cane. Back/hip issues, but do have a couple I like. Will post up some photos when I get a chance...

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Nate, I found my skull cane at my local tobacconist, Just For Him. Serendipity, no?
I was also able to find a photo of my youngest sporting my wears.
20162404_thug_life_makayla-_009-600x399.jpg

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Awesome cane and great photo! If I found that cane at a tobacconist it def have to buy it!!
Check out this website.... This cane can be had for under 70k! A sweet deal ;)

http://www.rauantiques.com/item/amethyst-cane-by-nbsp-faberg-.30-2229.html

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
I also walk with a cane, not so much because of a bad leg but because most of the meds I take can upset my balance. My cane is more for keeping me upright instead of keeping me mobile. Here is a link to the cane I use the most.

http://www.fashionablecanes.com/80901.html

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Stephen, I bought my two similar canes from there. They have great stuff. I kinda want their carbon fiber cane.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Due to various health issues a cane is certainly in my future. I have been trying to put it off for as long as poss., as I know that once I break down and buy one and learn to depend on it, I'll be stuck using one for life. I'll most likely go with a shillelagh, as they do seem to look the best to my eyes and don't have that Lawrence Welk vibe that so many canes give off!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Canes and walking sticks -- I love 'em as long as I don't need 'em. Very handsome set you have.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Due to a failed back surgery, I have several canes that I use for walking around the house or for short distances. For anything greater I use an electric scooter provided by the VA, or a wheelchair..

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Not sure why my pictures disappeared but... oh well. The site Nate posted above with the $69K cane has some interesting stuff, but I think they're reaching on their meers. Still worth a perusal, neat stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.