PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I have been using PayPal for about 8yr to order stuff and pay for things online. I hunt and fish ALOT and I order from Bass Pro and Cabela Canada at least a dozen times per year. I have noticed in the last few yrs they will take the entire times estimated (sometimes a day longer) to process transfers. I have spoken to a friend in Calgary and one in Ottawa and they both said they usually have theirs completed within 4-5d. It's been 6d for me already and it still says processing.
My question is this, has any other Canadian on here experienced long delays as such? I am seriously contemplating not using PayPal any longer due to their long wait times for transfers. Those pre-pay credit cards carry a fee however it's instant when you make a purchase unlike having to wait for paypal. The reason I'm so anxious is b/c I'm gonna run out of tobacco before the transfer takes place and I really dont want to spend upwards of $20 on a 50g pouch from the variety store..

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I had my Paypal attached to my bank account only and it took about 7 days for the money to transfer to add to Paypal. I was in a similar situation as you and I then attached to to my CC and now no worries. I keep an eye on my CC & Paypal to ensure no nefarious activiities are happening.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I had my Paypal attached to my bank account only and it took about 7 days for the money to transfer to add to Paypal. I was in a similar situation as you and I then attached to to my CC and now no worries. I keep an eye on my CC & Paypal to ensure no nefarious activiities are happening.
I don't want to use my credit card for PayPal for fear of the same reason. I think I will just get once of those pre-pay cards and avoid the hassle of PP anymore. I find their CDA customer service to be a little lack luster at times. I waited almost 3wks for a response to a question I emailed them about.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I use TD bank. When I spoke to the bank about PP they said their transfers usually take about 5 business days to process. He said for some reason they are slow with my transfers from what he's seen. My wife uses it, we have a joint account, and she's had transfers go through in 4d sometimes 5d. Mine take almost twice that long.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I'm gonna look at all my options roth. I am just annoyed that PP takes that long to complete a transfer. Too bad I couldn't just directly wire the $ into the vendor's acct.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I have money in my paypal account. Then when I buy things, it's paid for right then.
Using paypal to draw money from one bank to put it in another is a bit like writing something out before you type it. We just .... don't need to do that anymore.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
You can do that. However, FWIW, I highly recommend not ever doing that. I'm sure 95% of all vendors are reputable and honest, it only takes one to really ruin your day -- in such an unfortunate situation, no one has your back and you be screwed.
It's pretty simple. All I need is their acct number and I go to the bank they deal with. They don't get any of my information other than it showing up a standard deposit in their records. My parents used to wire me money the same way. they just go to the bank I deal with and say they want to deposit funds into 'this' acct and they do it. I got one of those prepay Master Cards today before work. $20 to activate it, and $3 to add money to it. If I carry a balance its $15/mo, if the card is left with zero balance its free. I might keep a balance in PP but I'm just worried it would go missing from there somehow.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
thanks for the info roth! Idk that MC doesn't allow baccy orders, but I just read this thread http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/cant-use-credit-cards-to-buy-loose-tobacco-online, and am now more informed. I will be going to money mart and getting the visa instead of MC tomorrow. If not then I guess I'll have to use Sh*tty old PP....

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I planned on speaking with them anyway. Hopefully I can get a competant CSR.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
My question is this, has any other Canadian on here experienced long delays as such? I am seriously contemplating not using PayPal any longer due to their long wait times for transfers. Those pre-pay credit cards carry a fee however it's instant when you make a purchase unlike having to wait for paypal. The reason I'm so anxious is b/c I'm gonna run out of tobacco before the transfer takes place and I really dont want to spend upwards of $20 on a 50g pouch from the variety store.
Perhaps the answer is to make sure you have sufficient funds in your Paypal account before making a purchase. If you have issues/concerns with banks, credit cards and the time frame it takes for money to transfer over, take some extra time to ensure you have the funds in your Paypal account before making your purchase, that way you don't have to worry. It is really not that difficult to do, just takes a bit of planning.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Perhaps the answer is to make sure you have sufficient funds in your Paypal account before making a purchase. If you have issues/concerns with banks, credit cards and the time frame it takes for money to transfer over, take some extra time to ensure you have the funds in your Paypal account before making your purchase, that way you don't have to worry. It is really not that difficult to do, just takes a bit of planning.
I do have funds in there, however there wasn't enough for the order I'm placing. It's all good to go for tomorrow morning. I have a nice order coming soon, and I will place another one mid week for some other treats :)

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Called them this afternoon, and they put it through for tomorrow morning :D Placing my order tomorrow and waiting impatiently for it to arrive :p

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
OK, so I've decided NOT to use PP any longer. I called them again this morning as I was told yesterday everything would be cleard this morning. In my conversation this morning I was told b/c I hadn't used my PP in over 18mo I would have to wait up to 10 business days for it to clear. Prepay Visa is going to be the way to go. SO frustrated with PP right. I'm going to chill out with my last bowl of plumcake, a cup of espresso and try not to be pissed off about the situation. All I want is to buy some tobacco, damnit lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.