PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Apropos of the recent post on bourbon, does anyone have recommendations on Canadian whiskey. Nothing in a plastic bottle, but nothing priced like a diamond either. We have limited pickings at the state contractor liquor stores in this state (N.C.) so I guess I'd have to have widely distributed brands, though I'd be glad to hear about things to try when traveling north. Not a big consumer, but enjoy the occasional refreshment. "A wee dram to start me flagging circulation."

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Regarding Canadian spirits, Crown Royal seems to be the favorite in my part of the country. I for one lean towards Irish distilleries. My brother adores Crown Reserve.

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
I'd suggest any offering from Pike Creek. And while you're at it, if anybody is interested in Canadian Whiskey, check out "Canadian Whisky: The Portable Expert" by Davin de Kergommeaux. He is a recognized expert on the topic.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Canadian whisky and rye are different things, if you want rye then Crown Royal Northern harvest, Canadian club 100% rye, or my favorite is alberta springs premium which is 100% rye, bottom shelf price, and consistently won best Canadian whisky of the year with a 96 rating by the same Jim Murray that pronounced Crown Royal Northern Harvest the best in the world and set off a buying frenzy of the stuff which is almost twice as much, when you can get alberta springs any day of the week for half the cost. I know alot of people who finally hunted down a bottle of the Northern harvest and were really disapointed, because they don't like rye. Canadian whisky is pretty much always a blended whisky except for I believe one, which rye is a part of but in quite small percentages. For Canadian whisky you can't go wrong with Crown Royal but it's sweet, I also like Wiser's deluxe for something not sweet, Centennial 10 year is very nice, one of my favorites, Gibsons 12 year, also forty creek is really really good and cheap, and for another great bottom shelf whisky is schenley's OFC.

Dec 24, 2012
Forty Creek makes some great stuff and, in fact, the distillery is just a short distance from my house.
http://www.fortycreekwhisky.com
In truth, I'm more of a Scotch guy though, but I do drink Forty Creek once in a blue moon.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thank you for suggestions and I'll note on the difference between blended whiskey and rye. I'll make a list of all and take a trip down to the ABC, and keep the list for future reference when I'm in places with a more expansive selection, but the floor is still open

Status
Not open for further replies.