PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
hi guy's,

i was wondering, how is the smoke from canadian pipes?

i had interest in canadian for a long time and i just saw a deal for a Rattray Old Growrie 12 straight canadian.

so any idea's how it smokes?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
My Canadians smoke great, just like most of my straight pipes, except if they're a bit on the long side, it makes them harder to clench as the weight of the bowl is further from your mouth. Never smoked a Rattray pipe, but my Savinelli and Ben Wade Canadians smoke fine.
Hey, you could even go all Canadian, and get an older Brigham Canadian style pipe made in Canada! Really nice pipes featuring a rock maple tube type filter that passes a pipe cleaner and is easy to come by. In fact there's a nice estate Brigham 3 dot Canadian on ebay right now. Just something to think about... :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, when you ask about Canadian pipes you need to specify if you mean the Canadian shape pipe or a pipe made in Canada. If you mean the shape, this is a great shape, similar to a billiard in design but demanding a longer piece of briar to get that long shank, one of the stateliest looking pipes to my eyes, and generally fine smokers.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
I love the Canadian shape! I own 9 Canadian pipes different makes and models not a bad smoker in the bunch.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I don't have any pipes made in Canada.I do have one Canadian shape pipe.It was made in Italy.Actually I've had it for about 30 years.Evidence that I really like it.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
sorry for not specifying. i'm looking for the canadian style pipe.

i would love to buy a brigham pipe but i live in the EU so they are harder to come by.

and am still a student, so i'm looking for the best price-quality for the pipe. i envy how there are so many pipe sales in the US :crying:

does a canadian style pipe smoke like a no-filter churchwarden?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I have one Canadian -- actually a lumberman (i.e. a Canadian with a saddle stem), and I really like it. It's hard to clench, especially if it's particularly long and/or heavy, but the draw is somewhat like a churchwarden in that you can take long, smooth draws on it. I really enjoy that aspect of it. Another benefit is that the shank, which makes up the bulk of the airway, is usually drilled with a single drill bit, making for a uniform, straight airway. Most pipes have a longer stem, which creates more possibility for turbulence.
Bottom line, if you like the look of a Canadian, you'll probably enjoy smoking one for the reasons above. By the way, I believe Savinelli makes Canadians in a wide range of finishes, including some that are fairly inexpensive.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
The Canadian is my favourite pipe shape and I own several of them from a few different manufacturers. I love how they look and how they smoke. Check out Ropp and Rossi to name a couple. They have good looking, good quality pipes for pretty reasonable prices. :puffy:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I have about 15 Canadians. I love how they smoke and look, but I think the story of how Canadians smoke cooler because they're longer is a myth. A few more inches of shank isn't going to cool down the smoke if you're power cheifing the bowl. That's trade marked btw.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
If tobacco flavor is impacted by interaction with briar, then the long stemmed pipes of this style will provide more of that interaction. Will it be significant? I hardly think so.

These pipes are generally elegant, distinctive, and well made.

You seldom hear a complaint about a poorly drilled Canadian.

The only Canadian Manufacturer I've heard of is Bringham.
6-dotshape19-430x480.jpg

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Love mine.
But I like the question! I happened to have been thinking about this a bit myself lately. Why do I love it so much?
I don't know what makes it such a pleasure. While I'm smoking it, I'm not "admiring it's shape," just smoking it. So it's not that there's some psychological predisposition for liking it, not for me. Maybe the next guy. I didn't buy it for its style. In fact, the Canadian shape actually never appealed to me. So whatever it is, I just really like that pipe. It satisfies me more than my other pipes.
The only time it fails to please is when I've smoked it too much, not let it rest or not cleaned it -- and even then, I still reach for it, in spite of knowing I should rest it.
Cooler? Well, it is cool. But I sort of attribute that to how I smoke it, how I smoke any pipe. Coolness, for me, is a consequence of something else I'm doing as I smoke. Like most, I think, I tend to keep it on low burn, trying savor the flavor. If I go too fast, the taste changes. And if I hear sizzling, that means it's gone bitter, I'm past just scorching it, and I'm about to get a draft of moist bitterness in my mouth. If that happens I'm scolding myself and taking a break for a bit, let it go down... though it seems once I've gotten to that point, I'm not going to enjoy the rest of the bowl. It's ruined.
I don't seem to have that with this one, no. But... I only have just the one Canadian. So I can't generalize much from it.
Any of my pipes that get hot, I feel as though I'm wasting tobacco. And to milk them for flavor, to tease that flavor out of them, I incidentally keep them from getting hot. I guess. So maybe its coolness is more a factor of being in tune with what I'm getting from it, not consciously controlling heat but without thinking about it, making adjustments to get that cool, dry, flavorful taste; and not a built-in factor of the pipe. I'm doing it.
It sure *seems* I don't have to nurse this one much. I have another Sav (my Canadian style pipe is a Savinelli), a 198 KS Author style Sav, that I have to be more aware of it, seems to me, than this one. Of the two, I like the author shape, I like the way it feels, but seeing the two on the shelf, I go for the Canadian.
Is it just because the KS (king sized) has a lot more ember in it? Is that why I'm more conscious of tending to it? I dunno. Maybe. Seems I can get carried away with that one pretty quick and then it takes a bit to tame it back down, un-stoke it, seems to me. Vague impression.
Without making some scientific study, the most I can say is, I love my Canadian. Never set out to own one. Don't know if the next one would be as good as this one. All I know is, I enjoy it very, very much and am glad I have it.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Canadians are my favorite shape- when they are done right. I prefer a size 3, less than 40 grams. I find that it is easy to clench a pipe like this, especially with a tapered stem instead of the saddle stem of the lumberman. I have 4 Canadians.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I hadn't smoked my trusty meer lined Canadian for awhile, and this thread prompted me to fire it up. It dawned on me why I like this shape a lot. Mine is especially smooth in the hand, and certainly light enough to clench for awhile, especially while lighting it.

The realization I had was that I could 'see' the point of contact for the flame and tobacco much easier that with a more typical straight pipe.

It could be that as I've gotten older, seeing things up close is not as easy as seeing them further away. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.