PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockford

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 4, 2013
A question for the Canucks on the forum,
Does anyone know what the popular Lakeland scented tobacco in Canada would have been about 20 years or more ago? I have had several estate pipes with the same flavor and aroma. At first I thought all of the pipes may have been treated with Pledge..
I might like to delve into a little history and pick some up.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I don't think it quite qualifies as a Lakeland, but Erinmore Flake was widely consumed for a VERY long time, and is one of the tins I encounter most frequently in my stumbling around Ontario antique stores. It does have a very stubborn ghost, which is very similar to that left by Lakeland style tobaccos.
In addition many of the G&H blends were/are available here for most of the last 100 years and Ennerdale Flake (among others) will leave tell-tale ghosts.
I have a retort, if you ever want to bust those ghosts.
-- Pat

rockford

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 4, 2013
I am actually enjoying it on the last couple of pipes though the first was really off putting. The flavour has been so similar from pipe to pipe although all have come through different sources.

I have burned through a few tins of Erinmore and Wessex Burley Slice (Edgeworth clone) and neither has the same profile.

Most of the old tins in my travels have been Edgeworth or Prince Albert.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
That's a really good question, Rockford. I've wondered the same thing.

I got an estate pipe that had a ghost that made me think "That smells like what my Dad's friend used to smoke". I haven't tried any Lakeland blends (no desire based on their description) but I've always wondered about that ghost...

It conjures up memories that are 30 yrs old.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Apparently the original Erinmore was a lakeland and today's version is nothing like it.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
A buddy of mine brought over one of his uncle's old pipes yesterday.

It had that very same ghost

Very unique - wish I knew what tobacco gave rise to it.

rockford

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 4, 2013
I did pick up some 50 year old Erinmore flake a few months back, it definitely could be the culprit. It is absolutely delicious!

May 31, 2012
p1050455-1280x854-600x400.jpg

Yep,

pruss was probably right...
...I've had some of the old Murray's Erinmore and I was astounded at how intense the aroma was, after I opened the tin it was so strong that the smell lingered in the room like a scented candle!
It was a good smoke in the grand UK scented flake tradition,

I'd call it classic Irish floral.
I didn't get much fruitiness, but a fresh tin back in the day probably had some fruity elements.
Why did the Danes tone it down so much?
I guess it was polarizing?
Erinmore has always been a very popular tobacco, it made Murray's famous!
I love this blog post about it...
"Relevant and purely imaginary quote: "Good heavens, Cletus, it smells like a Turkish cat-house here".

There are three things that mark a misspent pipe-smoking youth.

One of which is Erinmore Flake.
All pipe smokers of a certain age have experimented with it - it is hard to avoid buying this product at least once, as the friendly and colourful tin with its garish red blazoon on a yellow field beckons one from across a counter, lures one with its cheery appearance, shakes an appealing visual leg at the easily distracted young rake. And like an adventure with a drug-addled whore, one very quickly regrets the decision. From close up, the perfume is strictly drugstore bargain, the make-up thick and smeared, the hotel-room mildewed and depressing.
Erinmore Flake, with its fruity reek and foul habits, was the veritable tart among the tobaccos, the whore of Babylon, the shameless Catholic Church among the sober Protestants. I loathed it. For years those attractive yellow tins mocked me, from dark corners of tobacconists, or neatly stacked shelves, on two continents. Where-ever I saw an Erinmore tin, it seemed to wink and say "how about it, big boy, I've had my shots".

I resented the implied familiarity - I did NOT want to be seen in its company under any circumstances."
full article, inwhich he compares his experiences of Erinmore of old to the new style version:

http://atthebackofthehill.blogspot.com/2008/07/my-dalliance-with-trollop.html

:

MxjV0di.jpg

DqLqomS.jpg

bjTlAUr.jpg

RDpwSx9.jpg

LbXUPKX.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.