PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

marpipe

Lurker
Aug 19, 2013
Vancouver
My last 8oz tobacco order from 4noggins, a couple weeks ago, was marked "return to sender" with the description of "hobby supplies and accessories" circled.
Maybe the description was not specific enough?
Anyone else experiencing this?

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
If the package went through a scanner and either it detected it was tins or bulk "leaf" products, then assume Canada Customs did not accept the declaration as hobby supplies. Thus returned to sender.
Next time maybe try …. "pipe filler"...…. ;)
Regards

MJG

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I doubt anyone but a pipe would think of tobacco as "hobby supplies." I realize some use the term "hobby" to make the wee vice more palatable but, I doubt any customs organization would buy into that. Mack Sennet's law enforcement organization might have I suppose.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, 'hobby supplies' is not an untruthful description, really. Pipe smoking IS a HOBBY, and pipes, leaf, and related accoutrements are supplies for it.
I also like it because it smacks of 'Big Bother: none of your damn business!' That being said, however, it looks like the Canadian BullShit Agency is trying to send a strong message to the sellers: otherwise, they could just assess duties and let the buyer decide on paying them or not (I'm guessing most of them would).

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
My last 8oz tobacco order from 4noggins, a couple weeks ago, was marked "return to sender" with the description of "hobby supplies and accessories" circled
Were you notified by CBSA? Or by 4N?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
CBSA does not notify in cases of seizure or rts. Tracking updates show what's going on though, and 4N will send an email about re-shipping it.
I had some briar locked up in customs. "It's a K-24, sir." Lotta fun. But they made no effort at all to contact me about it, help me, move it, return it, nothing. They don't give a shit.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I doubt anyone but a pipe would think of tobacco as "hobby supplies." I realize some use the term "hobby" to make the wee vice more palatable but, I doubt any customs organization would buy into that.
I buy tobacco, pipes and cigars from the States and I use a forwarding company to ship them to me. Once the goods are shipped to their warehouse from the merchant's warehouse, I have to go to their website and fill the preliminary declaration. While filling it I always mark those tobacco related stuff as 'household appliances' :-D

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It is a hobby for me, if its an addiction its a great one seeing as how rarely I smoke a pipe. Now posting here on the other hand is the real habit.
I've found that smaller weights are better for customs. Maybe its not worth the trouble for the customs agents?

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I have never shipped anything to another country so I know nothing about customs. I have ordered items from oversees and it just shows up at my door. Is this particular customs issue (Marpipe) because it's a package from a retailer?
I'm in the states and if I sent Mike Thompson (in Canada) a couple of tins of tobacco would this package have to go thru customs and possibly be returned to me? Or does every package go thru customs...retail and non-retail?
Edit- Or is this because it's tobacco?

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm in the states and if I sent Mike Thompson (in Canada) a couple of tins of tobacco would this package have to go thru customs and possibly be returned to me? Or does every package go thru customs...retail and non-retail?
Lets find out! :D
Technically customs can open anything coming into the country, whether it is retail or not, tobacco or not.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Shipping tobacco from outside Canada to Canada is perfectly legal. Canada Customs may assess the duties and taxes, IF they feel the urge, to do so.
It boils down to a few things.
#1 - declaration value. If the value is high enough that it is worth collecting the assessed fees, no matter what the item might be, they will assess and charge.
#2 - accurate declaration. If Canada Customs thinks the contents are not as portrayed, in most cases they will open.
#3 - weight. A small package with a lower value will in many cases " slide" through unmolested. Even tobacco. The $30.00 US declared value for 3 x 50 gram tins, is not worth the amount of paper work / effort to collect the duties / fees etc. 8 oz on the other hand, even if declared at correct value is worth the effort to collect.
The way duties and taxes are assessed is on value and weight for tobacco products. Even low value but higher weights, can mean fees being assessed.
ALL the above goes out the window, depending on how diligent the customs official is about doing their job. Some will go after even 50 grams, and some will let higher weights slide through. It's a roll of the dice every time.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

My attempts to send a few flakes across the boarder to Pruss, when he lived there, had Customs calling me to ask me if I wanted to pay to have the package returned or pay $50 in taxes for what amounted to four flakes of Virginias. I told them to throw it away. There was no automatic, return to sender. Nor, did Pruss get a package marked as such.
So, you got a package that was marked "Return to Sender"? Or, some other form of notification? Sorry, I am just trying to understand.
BTW, marking it as "tea" works also. As shepherds will make tobacco teas to give to their flocks to get rid of worms. So, technically... :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.