PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhuman

Lurker
Apr 5, 2013
if i wanted to mix a few different flavors and smoke my Cigarillo tobacco in a tobacco pipe, would it work? Would it be safe? (I mean safe like, i heard of somebody smoking dip in a pipe and they had something caked onto their lungs or something) so would it be safe in that sense? Sorry if thats a stupid question.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the forum.
Some blends do include cigar leaf. Breaking up a cigar and smoking it in a pipe would work, but they are very different types of tobacco.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Dip is not suposed to be inhaled, your cigarillos are, so they should be fine. It would be new expensive and grosser tasting to do it this way though. They have several nice tasting Aros and blends with cigar leaf in them I explore our sponsors's websites!

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
It depends. I'm not sure smoking straight cigar leaf in your pipe would be enjoyable, but go for it if you want to try and stick to it if you like it. I do know it's relatively common to mix cigar leaf with pipe tobacco, particularly English/latakia blends or Virginias, and some tobacco brands even sell tinned/bagged cigar leaf for this purpose.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A footnote on cigar tobacco. It is grown extensively and commercially outside the historical tobacco growing

states (like Virginia, North Carolina, and Kentucky) and one of the big cigar tobacco states is Connecticut.

Who knew? Well, I didn't until a friend pointed it out. Speaking as one who has enjoyed my share of cigars,

including Cubans when outside the U.S., that's not the tobacco I want in my pipe, thanks. Two different flavor

experiences. It's a different animal altogether. I've seen a blend or two that feature cigar tobacco in pipe

blends, but it sounds like an unpleasant recipe to me.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
As mentioned before you could smoke a cigar in a pipe if you broke it up but I'm not sure how well it'd taste. There are some pipe blends with cigar leaf in them. Key Largo and Billy Bud come to mind. I'd give them a try instead of breaking up a cigar and loading your pipe with it.

Aug 21, 2011
My grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins all came to America from Sicily. I remember in the 1960's almost all the men smoked both cigars and pipes. Truth is, whatever portion of their cigars went unsmoked went into their pipes the next day. These were guys that wasted absolutely nothing. They were hard core. Red wine and their pipes/cigars. I loved getting together every Sunday. The room notes were great. They all smoked Parodi cigars. The very dry ones. RD

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I also remember the oler Italian men putting DiNobli's into corn cobs and smoking them. They were real men. For a decent cigar blend I'd recommend C&D's Billy Bud; a burely based blend with cigar leaf. There are others but BB is the only one I've tried- and only in a MM cob.

Apr 7, 2013
I came across this thread searching the net and read some posts on a whim I said WTH Ill try this so I broke up and rubbed out an Acid Blonde (my fav cigar) and packed a bowl using the frank method after i nice charring lite and a few puffs i let it set as I normally do fired her up and I must say I found it very enjoyable a bit strong but hey I like a little N punch.This may not be for every one but Ive found a new way to enjoy an old favorite.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I find el ricon de la pipa #1 to be like a Romeo y Juliet Cuban cigar (I find romeo y Juliet to be highly overrated cubans) , and Billy Budd by C&D is like a good Maduro cigar, very rich cigar flavour. So I'd just smoke those instead, plus they're probably much cheaper, as you don't have to have them rolled and then take them apart.

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
I think the issue of whether you can smoke cigar tobacco in a pipe is about how the tobacco is cut. Pipe tobacco is often, though not always, ribbon cut. Flake and other styles are rubbed up so they are loosen and resemble ribbon cut in that they are lengths of tobacco so it can burn in the pipe. Cigar wrapper, of course, doesn't come in ribbon cut unless you do it. Wading it up like a piece of paper and sticking it into the bowl will not burn well.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
My first ever pipe experience was a Captain Black Sweet taken apart and put into a pipe, haha. Wasn't as good as the cigarillo itself . . .

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
Short answer is yes. I lived in Costa Rica in the 90's and when I ran out of pipe tobacco I had to resort to buying packets of loose Partagas filler. Stout stuff. Being uncased and with very low moisture, it will burn hot and has the potential to burn out a pipe if you're not careful.
Regarding tobacco blends with cigar leaf, casting my vote for C&D's Purple Cow.

Status
Not open for further replies.