Can you tell what/if there's anything wrong with this pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMPORTED-BRIAR-TOBACCO-ESTATE-PIPE-1950s-RESTORED-/120819940493?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c216dfc8d]
Look at the enlarged photos of the stem. It looks like its scratched? Or is it just the way the light is hitting it? Doesn't look bad for the price just wondering what your thoughts are. Maybe its from his "restoring" process? Should I steer clear?
Thanks,
Dave

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
I think I got it fixed. I refreshed after an edit and can just click on it now. Sorry. So how easy is it to buff something like that out? I don't have any machinery to do that.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I looked at few of the sellers other listings.

Between the descriptions and apparent use of a coarse sandpaper on more than just the stems, hard telling what the pipes could really be like.
From the pics it looks like it could be cleaned up.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Thanks OTD. I guess that's the risk when it comes to ebay. I get the feeling that he does not know pipes(which isn't necessarily a bad thing) because he refers to cake as smoke residue. Can it be done by hand?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Buffing the stem? Yes, it can be done by hand.
If you're itching to try your hand at refurbishing a pipe, this might be a good guinea pig, though I wouldn't spend too much $$ on it if I were you.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Oh yes, it can be done by hand. Will take some time but doable.

The least expensive way to go would be using wet/dry sandpaper. Hardware stores or auto parts stores.

From the looks of those scratches, strictly guessing mind, I'd think you would need to start with something like 200 grit and work up from there.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Ok thanks guys. @ bigvan, that is exactly what I'm interested in doing and he has a few pipes that look OKish in the 6-10 dollar range. If he will combine shipping I might pick a couple up. I keep looking to grow my collection and new pipes are just too much $ sometimes. I got the green light from the boss to buy them and put them under the tree for myself. :lol:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Looks to be a good starter pipe, but caveat emptor, my friend. No-name pipes are a gamble at best. I would be more concerned with the insides, being sure to give it a good thorough cleaning inside and out. I wouldn't recommend breaking the bank either, as there are many decent new pipes vavailable fron 25 to 50 bucks from the online vendors that advertise here.

Good luck!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Looks like 200 grit was used on it! I'd start with 320-360 and work up to 1000-1200. That style of stem can be a PITA to sand and buff because of the saddle and all those sharp edges/facets.

riptide

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
Start with 600 grit wet sand paper and work your way up with micro mesh 1500, 4000, 6000, 8000, and 12000 then polished with bees wax or stem polish or some sort.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
It looks like they tried to clean the stem and didnt finish doing it with a finer grit medium. Just needs to be buffed, you can do it pretty easily with a non quilted paper towel like viva, and toothpaste, follwed by olive oil

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Thanks fellas, I think I will pull the trigger on a couple of his pipes. He has some other ones that are in decent shape that aren't scratched like this one. That is, if I can click at the right time and win.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
dhizzy, here's my 2 cents:

I agree that it is scratched and scratched with sand paper.

I also agree with most of the comments on how to remedy the issue.

But, something that seems to have been overlooked...

That being the seller wanted to make it look nice enough to sell but lacked any knowledge about pipe restoration.

To me that begs the question what else has been mishandled during the "clean up"...

I'd be wary.

antipodesman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2011
Vancouver Island
The seller mentions that the stem is loose. That is more significant than that it is scratched. Can you tighten a loose stem? I think it can be a bit tricky. Other than that, it is a nice looking pipe and the price is right.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
All signs pointed to no after I mulled it over boys. I thank you all for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.