Can You Smoke Outside In Madison, WI...In December?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
I have a trip next week to Madison, WI. Am I crazy to think about bringing a pipe to smoke. It will be single digit highs. Will my lips fall off at that temperature? Is there a pipe shop where I can smoke in town?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
All depends on how you are dressed I suppose. It's been single digits up here all week and I've not missed a bowl or cigarette when working outside or exercising the pup. Ahh, but then there is the wind! Wind can send me into the truck and sometimes home to smoke. Below zero temps and wind make it waaaay below zero, then it's a bowl or two by the fire with a hot chocolate or, later in the day, say 0930 or so, a bit of Port.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have heard that the sudden temp change of lighting a meerschaum pipe in temp that cold can crack them. I would stick with briar. Otherwise, go to town!

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Any Port in a storm??

:lol:

I have heard that the sudden temp change of lighting a meerschaum pipe in temp that cold can crack them.

True. I've seen (and heard) this happen. Older gentleman stepped out of the Iwan Ries building one Chicago winter. As I passed him on the way in, I heard a "pop," and a piece of stained bowl and burning tobacco fell to the icy sidewalk.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I generally do not smoke my meers out of doors. However, I have and since the pipe comes warm from my pocket and is heated through the smoldering tobacco once lit, I've never had a problem. I'd be suspicious of any pipe which breaks in such a situation. My guess is it had a weakness already which the abrupt temp change exacerbated.
In my youth, when I ill-treated my pipes, I'd investigate vehicle accidents with a pipe (meer or briar) dangling from my mouth. The temps could be below zero but, my nose was warm. I'd be in and out of a warm vehicle with outside temps below zero. Never experienced a crack or other damage.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
This is all good to hear. I'm a California boy and I like my temps in the double digits, at least. I'll try walking around and see if I freeze to death.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
It may be cold and raw but I doubt you will get not single digit highs in early December. Lows maybe. There aren't any pipe shops in Madison and very few cigar lounges. I've been to Maduro and Tasting Room a couple of times over the years. I've lived in the north all my life and am built for polar conditions but I can't imagine enjoying a pipe outside in winter. 8O

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Can you smoke outside in Wisconsin in December? It depends... Where are you from? People from the warmer states like Florida wear jackets here in 60 degree weather... :roll:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are somewhat cold tolerant, and you are dressed for the weather, and you have decent footing (no glazed ice enroute) I'd suggest you walk. Standing or sitting in the cold is a bad choice in my opinion. If you are not adjusted to serious cold weather, I'd do this sparingly. Try a short walk, and adjust or abandon the effort, as necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.