PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I'm sitting in my office with my door closed wishing I could light up my pipe and smoke it. It got me thinking, go back 35,40,50 years many could smoke in the office, it was common place. Even the astronauts smoked.

123px-Alan_Shepard_Mission_Control.jpg

Alan Shepard in Mission Control

29.jpg

Mad Men...

So today, do any of you have the luxury to be able to smoke at work?
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Yes, I can smoke at work. I'm smoking now. It probably helps that I have my own business (one of the reasons I started it, actually, was so that I can smoke a pipe anytime I like). :D

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Yes and no. Technically no since I'm in sales with a nutrition company, so I keep my piping separate from that while visiting accounts, but yes since I often fire up while working from my home....as I will be doing shortly.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
1. Move 12 feet to my office's back door.

2. Move 25 feet staight out to the woodline (And away from the door)

3. Commence smoking.
The Army is my friend (most days).

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Not inside - but every bench around this building has one of those "smoker's posts" bolted to the concrete next to it... They don't seem to get a lot of use, though.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Not for me, but then I don't think that Elementary schools appreciate their employees smoking in general.

~Ron

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
On man i wish i could just lite up a bowl here in the office that would be perfect. I cant smoke pipe at work it takes to long ill get fired lol (as i write this at my desk as oppose to working) 8O

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Being that my work is split between working in the office and driving around on patrol I could if I wanted to and have before. The problem I have is it doesn't look very "professional" these days, makes tax payers feel they're wasting their money by me standing around, and since I don't know when the next call is going to come I don't. I have before on several occasions and even carry a small pipe bag in my truck but I can't remember the last time I lit it up.

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
I work at an office building that pretty much clears out at 5pm, but my job has later and weekend shifts, and often you're alone. If I had a nickle for every time I thought of lighting up..... I have sat there with the pipe in my mouth, though. The next best thing to smoking a pipe is holding one lol
The grounds are OK though, so I usually smoke on my lunch break.

They actually have a heated smokers' hut for winter. It looks like an enclosed bus stop

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I teach at one of Florida's state colleges. We used to have a few designated smoking areas outside around the campus. As of the first of this month, we've been declared a tobacco-free campus. I have to leave the campus if I want to smoke these days..

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I close my office door. Then, I put a jacket under the door to make it air tight. Open window. Smoke all I want. No one's ever said anything.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Retired in 2011, from where they still had outdoor areas for smoking, which I never used. Availability to the phone

was important. Now, freelancing from home on an entirely different kind of work, I occasionally smoke my pipe, but

I tend to save it more for down-time. Some days I smoke a bowl or two, and some days I don't smoke. I often smoke

doing Forums, but not at the moment. Back at the old work place, I think they may have made the grounds smoke-free

too.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
They do have outside smoking areas here at work, but I never use them. Rather than waste time doing that I just wait until I get home and can enjoy two or three bowls.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I'm a contractor. I can't when we're on a job. But, when things are slow and I'm at the shop I can.

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
I'm lucky enough to be able to smoke on the job. I operate heavy equipment and the boss is cool about me smoking in the machines.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
In my state you can smoke in a separate ventilated room if you have less than five employees. Any more and you can provide a smoking area outside. As I work for an international company we have well over 5 employees. This is also regardless of the fact that we have something like 300 people working in the store. Normally one would be able to go out and smoke on a break but working overnights and having enough guns (and sometimes ammo) to supply a small army we can't exit the building unless it's for the day. This irks most of the cig. smokers to no end. It's been too warm and humid to smoke a pipe for me so it doesn't really bother me.

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
Even if I could, it would be tough to have a pipe in my mug while taking calls wearing my headset!
I know what you mean coalsmoke! When I get to work from home, I smoke. I end up relighting a bunch though, b/c I'll just light it and a call will come in. I'll curse to myself, put the pipe back down and start over after the call.

Status
Not open for further replies.