Can you recommend something similar to GL Peace BlackPoint ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenforest

Lurker
Jan 4, 2013
Can you recommend something similar to (but cheaper) than this (GL Peace Blackpoint) ?
THis sounds great buy beyond my price point....
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/72776/gl-pease-blackpoint/

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Hard to beat Greg's blends but you might try Peter Stokkebye's Proper English.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/40005/peter-stokkebye-52-proper-english/#p-106261

zenforest

Lurker
Jan 4, 2013
I have only seen the 8oz option for $32. I have been buying the 8oz H&H tins for $18 so the price diff is quite a bit. I am sure the tobacco is probably worth it, I just cant buy in any bulk at $4 per oz...... :(

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Blackpoint is one of my favorite full latakia blends.
Before you balk at the price, let's break down what that $32 8oz canister will get you.
Will GLP latakia blends, I average 10 bowls an ounce

8x10=80 bowls

32/80=$0.40/bowl
How much do you smoke?
Let's say you're going to smoke two bowls of this per day. This will net you almost six weeks.
I don't have much in the way of means, but for me, even the best pipe tobacco is a bargain for what I get out of it.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
At P&C, if you purchase five 8oz tins of GLP Blackpoint at the same time, the cost per tin drops to $28.14 per tin. It costs more up front, but it is a significant discount over the individual tin price.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Escioe & Jim:
I think it all comes down to ways and means. I've been broke, stoney broke and then I've also wondered whether or not I'd be moving to a public shelter or couch surfing amongst friends.
I came into this hobby on a budget: through good times and bad I've built up a nice stable of quality - but not artisan quality burners. I've also acquired a stash of tobacco that will see me through several years, or more, of lean times. (Guys, I'm blessed and I thank God each and every day.)
Jim, that initial pay out might be out of the OP's reach. I love free shipping as much as the next mook, but sometimes getting to that point just isn't in the budget, And, Escioe, if my math is correct your same formula would result in the following:
With H&H blends, I average 10 bowls an ounce

8x10=80 bowls

32/80=$0.225/bowl
It's a big difference.
Zen, I don't have an adequate response for you. But I do know that Mr. Ouelette's smokes are, hands down, the best value out there for a quality bowl of tobacco.
Having champagne taste on a beer budget can really suck, but it does make me want to try all that harder to make more money and be a better provider to my family and my hobbies.
Fnord

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
You can sample a lot of recommended full British and (perhaps) even Balkan blends searching for something similar at a price point

you can live with; but that will result in a lot of rejects. A waste of time, and money you could have applied to the real deal.
Pease's blends are pretty distinctive. In the long run you will save money by sticking with the original blend.
Besides, anything that is as good, will likely cost as much. That's just my 2¢

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I get that there is a difference between $0.23/bowl and $0.40 a bowl. But for me, smoking an average of 1.5 bowls a day, that difference works out to about $0.25. Multiply that by a year and it's under $100. For comparison, looking at my pipe rack right now, I see one pipe that I spent more than $80 on, and most of them were more like $50 estates.
Basically, all I have to do is find a quarter on the ground each day, and I've made up for smoking what I really want to smoke versus smoking what sorta kinda approximates what I want to smoke.
And if it really came down to it, I'd cut back before smoking something I didn't really like. I've been there before. I don't need to smoke to live. Just like with beer, or whisky, I'll cut back consumption before I cut back quality. It's not like food, where you need a certain amount per day to live.

zenforest

Lurker
Jan 4, 2013
I opted to get 8 oz of Namaste and 8oz of Armada......both by H&H.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/72948/hearth-home-signature-armada/
I have tried Namaste before and loved it. Armada will be new for me.
16oz for $46 (includes three day shipping) so $2.87 per oz
Will post a review on the Armada after I give it a go !!
Cant wait !

Status
Not open for further replies.