Can you recommend pipe makers with less open draw?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Hi, I'm looking for good quality pipes with a slightly smaller draft hole than 5/32. I find Boswell and Radical to be too open for my taste. I sometimes find small bits if vaccine getting through. Looking at under $200 retail. Thanks

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
On the budget side I believe many of the Rossi lines to come in around 3mm

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
The Viking Classics that I've purchased both needed to be opened up, in my opinion. They might suit you just fine...

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Thanks, I also meant Radice. I like Italian pipes mainly or if from Denmark an Acrylic stem.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I've found that filtered pipes have a poor draw for me which is why the filters get tossed; maybe it would work for you.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Most meerschaum pipes with a teflon/nylon tenon-mortise fitting will have a tight draw.

SFT-3-1.jpg
SF1524-1.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When you have a nice open draw, the pipe will smoke nice and dry. With a constricted draw, it will gurgle and smoke wet. All you need to do with a nice open draw is to pack the tobacco firmer. I have pipes from 4.0 to 4.5 and I just adjust how tight I pack, depending on the pipe. I would never want a draw less then 4.0

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Thanks, I even like limiting the amount of draw on my cigars by using a 9mm punch and not a cutter. One of the reasons is that I feel I'm drawing less tars into my mouth. Yes, filtered pipes would probably work well. I'm looking at Savinelli with 6mm balsa filter, Brigham with the rock maple and Stanwell with 9mm charcoal. I just wanted to see what options with out filters there may be. I only like straight or 1/8 bent to limit any gurgle. Ive always had bad experiences with heavy bends and aros. I also dont like inhaling my own secend hand smoke, so 6.5" billiard to 11" churchwarden in length for me. Thanks for the advice.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd go with guyrox, especially with Ropp. Some of the other French pipes seem pretty open, my Chacom, BC and Genod, for example. But Ropp is tight without being restrictive. I have the same experience with Vuillard, though they are somewhat less common.

Mar 1, 2014
One of the reasons is that I feel I'm drawing less tars into my mouth
Taking lighter sips will have exactly the same result.
Most of my pipes are technically filter pipes but I rarely use the filters right now. There's nothing wrong with using a pipe with an empty filter slot, you could also just call it a "Mini Reverse Calabash".

Status
Not open for further replies.