PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I picked up a tin of Solani Aged Burley Flake which I have been enjoying very much. The predominant notes of cocoa and brazil nut are smooth and enjoyable but on certain days I find myself searching for that underlying molasses malty sweetness that I love in a Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake or Capstan Original Navy Flake. Some reviews of ABF mention a dark sweet flavor which I simply do not pick up on. I am still loving this blend and think I will appreciate it more come Fall.
Is there a best of both worlds blend out there? A burley forward blend, with just a whisper of that dark sweetness? Preferably sans topping/casing.
Thanks in advance!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Newminster #403 Superior Round Slices is a fantastic Va/Bur and available in bulk.
C&D Old Joe Krantz is Burley, Virginia and Perique ... a great morning smoke with coffee and also in bulk.
C&D Burley Flake #2 is two kinds of Burley with a nice sweet Virginia ... tin only.
Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired is sweet/tangy and got a decent kick.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
C&D's Pegasus is a favorite here. Three burleys, two Virginias, and unsweetened black cavendish.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
C&D Montford Point Marine is a fave of mine. Burley, Perique and a touch of Latakia. The C&D line has many burley blends that are quite good so check them out.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
I second Old Joe Krantz. I know it's a Bur/VA/Per, but this stuff is amazing (and dirt cheep).

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Check out Daughters & Ryan's offerings. Several Virginia/Burley blends, especially Two Timer Gold.
Esoterica Stonehaven;

Mac Baren: Old Dark Fired; HH Bold Kentucky; Modern Virginia; Navy Flake; Norwood;

Three Nuns;

Pease: JackKnife, Montgomery, and Navigator;

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For Va/Bur or Burley, I'd read through the whole Cornell & Diehl inventory at smokingpipes.com, P&C, 4noggins, etc. It will give you a feel for strengths of different blends, additional flavoring like Lat, Per, or Cav, and so on. For non-aro burley, other than C&D, Lanes Burley Without Bite is good, and I've just been introduced to Peter Stokkebye's 702 burley which is also mild and flavorful and maybe a little more nuanced than Lanes. Semois Tobac-Manil is a Belgium variant of burley that is exquisite to some and wretched to others, but I like it very much, a single leaf that has the levels of a sophisticated blend, though it does smell barn-like when you open it. It gets much sweeter.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Have you checked out the "stepladders" on P&C? That's how I got turned onto C&D Burley Flake #1, and the more I smoke it, the more I like it. Plus, they never seem to try and slip stuff in there that is just a dog and won't sell otherwise.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Thanks everyone! I've added many of your suggestions to my perpetually growing "to try" list. From what I've gleaned on TobaccoReviews I think some Pegasus will be on my next order! Many reviews noted that it is punctuated with a subtle sweetness from time to time while providing a robust nutty dark cocoa base. Sounds perfect!
Thanks you again for your sage advice!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My favorite available Vaburs are:
Solani Silver Flake

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky

GL Pease Navigator

Peterson Irish Flake

Peterson Perfect Plug

Peterson University Flake

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Peretti's #8 slices is a good VaBur with some Perique. If you are thinking more along the lines of a less-cased codger-style Burley then it doesn't get any better than Peretti's 1072. It sure sounds like I'm a fanboy doesn't it! It's just that all the other great Burley blends have already been mentioned.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
If you like your burleys sweet and nutty try H and H's Capital Stairs, a Va/bur with perique

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
MacBaren Golden Extra is your huckleberry.
If you like rum flavoring: GL Pease Navigator (I've found this to smoke much better when it's been opened and the had a chance to think about itself for 6-12 mos.
If you like stewed fruit flavoring (mostly plum): Peterson University Flake.
If citrus is your thing: Erinmore Flake.
If extreme citrus is your thing: Erinmore Mixture. Don't believe the hype: it's not evil.
Now, if you're ok with Perique, it opens up a whole new sub-genre of VaBurPer, in which case I would recommend GL Pease Cumberland & McConnell Scottish Cake. Haddo's Delight and Barbary Coast if you like some brandy topping.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
cigarmasters first recommendation of Solani Silver Flake is where I would look for a sweeter VaBur. Only availablein 100G tins unfortunately, but well worth the small investment.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I've just been branching out into VaBurs myself. Been smoking Solani Silver Flake this weekend and it is an awesome choice. I also like Mac Baren Old Dark Fired more and more as I've been smoking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.