Can you recommend "creamy", non-spicy Virginias?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
While I've been a serious pipe smoker for only 7 months now, I've drawn the following conclusions:
1. I just can't enjoy latakia blends. I can't, I can't, I can't. I've tried. But the dark side just has no appeal for me.

2. American style Burleys are awesome, and I was stupid to scoff at Carter Hall and similar blends (although I love the upgraded variants, such as Uhle's burleys, the best).

3. I love creamy, mild tasting Virginias--especially those that are not very spicy. I'm not fond of those that are heavy on the perique (such as Soloni 633). Both SG FVF and BB are ideal here, although Dunhill Flake and UF are great, too.
So with respect to #3, I would love some suggestions fitting this sort of profile: mild tasting, creamy, and largely bite free (as far as Vs go). Thanks in advance!

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Hi futureman. Mac Baren Vanilla Cream flakes or loose. I've only smoked two bowls of the flakes so far but I am hooked.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I'm not sure I'd describe ANY Virginias as either "creamy" or "spicy" (that's the perique, but you knew that).
It sounds like you've found some blends you like, quite a few in fact. And in 7 short months! My "go to" Virginia is McClelland 5100. Sip it slowly and I think you'll be pleased.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
C&D has some wonderful Virginias in this vein--Opening Night, Manhattan Afternoon and Interlude come to mind, from the Simply Elegant series.

Hearth & Home Marble Kake is likewise sweet, pure Virginia bliss.

McCranie's Red Ribbon or Flake are brilliant, no matter the vintage.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
+1 on the C&D simply elegant ones.
Also, for me, one of the top VA in bulk remains Lane's MV-1000. Good VA with a light topping of caramel/vanilla. Smoke it slow because it will sting a little if puffed too fast. But excellent !

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
The best all Virginia blend for me is LJ Peretti's Park Square. It is mild, not in the sense of bland, but understated. It is a mix of three different Virginias all cured in different manners. It is creamy, and sweet, with citrus notes at times and just a real treasure.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Dan Tobaccos Hamborger veermaster

Rattrays Marlin Flake

Fribourg and Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I will second bigvan on the McC 5100 as it is my all day smoke. Curse you bigvan for getting me hooked on that stuff. lol. I will also second Rattray's Marlin Flake. It is an exceptional smoke.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Mac Baren Virginia #1 gets my vote; but John Patton's Quadruple Virginia may better meet your criteria. Both are available in bulk.

Purchase some of the previously recommended tobaccos at 4noggins, and with your order ask Rich for a sample of the two that I suggested.
Bear in mind that all of this is just a starting place for a lifetime of exploration; and tastes and opinions change continuously.

Give this a try: go to LuxuryTobaccoReviews where, in the left column, "Tobacco Categories", you can pull up a list in any genre.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Mmm - MacBaren's HH Mature Virginia is far and away their best Virginia, in my book. The Rattray Virginias are worth exploring, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.