PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
In What Brand/Artisan is Most Represented in Your Collection?, peckinpahombre mentioned owning 32 Castellos and 21 Rad Davis pipes.
For those of you who have more than 50 pipes (50 being somewhat arbitrary, but large enough for the question to matter), what is your relationship like with each of those 50 or more pipes? In other words, can you really get to know and love that many pipes, especially if you aren't an all-day smoker?
When I got to around 40, I realized it was way past time to start culling the herd. I'm down to about 35 right now and there are some pipes I've smoked less than a dozen times, even though I've owned them for more than a year. I'm a collector of certain pipes (Elliott Nachwalter), but I don't want a museum in my office. I want 35 or fewer pipes that all smoke and look magnificent. What drives the rest of you in your collecting/accumulating?

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
If a woman can love 50 shoes, a man can love 50 pipes, I guess we gotta be fair :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In economics, there is the point of diminishing returns. If you have only one shirt, it is your only chance to wear

a shirt, so it is of great value. If you get a second shirt, it is only half as valuable. And so on. I think the human

imagination can expand the positing of appreciating possessions, but not infinitely. I think after about ten pipes,

there comes to be a hierarchy, with some pipes counting quite a bit, and others less. If you get dozens of pipes,

probably some don't count for much, even though you wouldn't give them away. You have to find a sense of

proportion and prospective that suits you, and do the best you can to have some reality check. If the superabundance

of pipes is intruding on family relationships, etc. If you can cull the herd, without parting with gift pipes or distinct

favorites, that sometimes helps.

Dec 24, 2012
If a woman can love 50 shoes, a man can love 50 pipes, I guess we gotta be fair :)
+ 1 - I just love pipes. Are all of them in the rotation at once? No. However, I love them all. I just enjoy pipes. For me part of the hobby is collecting pipes. I have a lot of job stress, and all aspects of the hobby - including hunting for new or estate pipes - relieves my work-related stress.

Dec 24, 2012
You know Pitch, it's funny. There are some pipes that I bought early on when I started in the hobby that I should probably get rid of. I was going through my pipes this past weekend, and I have 16 Dunhills, which I never smoke and probably never will. I had thought of selling them off; however, the more I started thinking about it, I have tons of space, so maybe I would be better off keeping them. Will I be better of selling them 20 or 25 years from now or today? That is the question I have to answer, and I'm not sure what that answer is.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
It all boils down to how much you smoke per day. If you go through a pound a month you can most certainly become intimate with a set of 50 pipes. Easily. A hundred might be pushing it. But a rotation of 50 means every pipe sees action, multiple times per month.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
It's definitely about money to burn which Peck appears to have. All the power to him if it's something he enjoys. I don't think I will ever get there but I wouldn't stop at 50. Like a piece of music you love it may fall out the rotation but you can always bring it back and enjoy it again.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I currently have 30 artisan pipes and one Castello that are in my smoking rotation. I own 3 British pipes that I no longer reach for and will be moving out. I also have the first pipe I ever bought which is a Savinelli that rarely gets smoked but that will always have a place in my rack. Right now my 30 pipes get a good amount of attention and rest( I smoke 4-5 bowls a day) and my goal is to have maybe 40 as the most I want at any one time. I feel anymore than 40 will mean some pipes get neglected and I do not care to own any pipes just for the sake of looking at them. I once owned over 60 pipes and felt too many were neglected so I decided to get to a more manageable number for me.
I totally understand someone's desire to collect pipes that do not get smoked as a part of a rotation as pleasure can be had just for the collecting aspect as peck has mentioned. For me 40 is a good number, for someone else it could be 20, some want 300. As with all things pipes and tobacco we do what is right for each individual and as long as you are enjoying what works for you, I say have at it.
peck, if those Dunhill's are not taking up space and you don't need the cash, they will most likely only go up in value the older they get. Now some of the earlier pipes you know you are not going to smoke that are not going to appreciate in value very much with age, I would unload those. They can go to a good home where they get smoked and can fulfill their destiny. If you keep too many pipes unfulfilled the pipe Gods might just take umbrage with you and your smokes could get wet and foul tasting, best not to anger the pipe Gods.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
For me it's about shapes.I couldn't have 50 pipes in rotation at the same time.Maybe though I could have 10 pipes of the same shape in rotation for a while until I got bored and switched to another shape.Of course I've never actually done this,and I only have 25 pipes to start with.That's not to say that I wouldn't like to have 25 more.

Dec 24, 2012
It's definitely about money to burn which Peck appears to have. All the power to him if it's something he enjoys. I don't think I will ever get there but I wouldn't stop at 50. Like a piece of music you love it may fall out the rotation but you can always bring it back and enjoy it again.
I don't have money to burn, I just choose how I spend my disposable income and like pipes. Others buy booze or fancy cars or rifles.
I agree Harris. I plan to keep the Dunhills, but will look at moving some of my other pipes. Maybe over the holidays I will photograph some and list them on here.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My collection has grown to 87 pipes. Some, I have had since the 1970's when I began, and half I acquired in the last 7 years. I usually rotate through them in groups of 7 or 8, and occasionally pulling the odd pipe "just because". The heavy Danish ones do not see much action anymore, and neither do the odd-ball display pieces or my three churchwardens. (I was given a small beechwood and balsa pipe recently that is a WW2 'SS' stamped gift pipe, from an officer to his troops. This one won't be smoked ever.)

Maybe it is like collecting shoes, or cats, or whatever, but it would be difficult for me to pick one pipe that I just didn't want to keep or smoke. If one comes my way that I don't like, I end up gifting it to one of my sons or son-in-laws. There are just too may nice pipes out there to stop at 87.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I've got 47 pipes in rotation and find that is a manageable number for me. 23 are Peterson's and are what is left of about 50-60, these being the best smokers of that bunch. The other pipes I have on my rack are from Indie makers like Nate King, Jerry Crawford, Chheda, Herbaugh, S&R, etc, plus a few factory pipes like Luciano and Castello. That rack is full so I doubt there will be any new additions soon. I have space for one more Peterson so will probably fill that slot once Premal frees me from his servitude. 8)

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I would say you could enjoy all the pipes you have regardless of the number if you collect them. If you smoke them but always never use some then I would probably sell those off.
I sold many of the estate pipes that I originally had bought since I do not smoke. I thought since the pipes were already smoked I would allow them to be enjoyed and smoked by new owners.
I think I have enough pipes now since I am running low on storage space.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
+1 - I just love pipes. Are all of them in the rotation at once? No. However, I love them all. I just enjoy pipes. For me part of the hobby is collecting pipes. I have a lot of job stress, and all aspects of the hobby - including hunting for new or estate pipes - relieves my work-related stress.
I agree with Peck on this 100% !! :puffpipe:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
+ 1 - I just love pipes. Are all of them in the rotation at once? No. However, I love them all. I just enjoy pipes. For me part of the hobby is collecting pipes.
OK, that's interesting to know - that not all of the pipes are ostensibly part of "the rotation." But I hear you -- I see pipes all the time that I like for whatever reason, but I know they'd almost never be smoked. And yet, there have been a few pipes I've bought (online) just because I wanted to see them in person, hold them in my hands and perhaps smoke them once or twice. And then I've sold them. So yes, I think I get the same kind of enjoyment out of shopping for pipes -- I just don't always keep them around.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
You know Pitch, it's funny. There are some pipes that I bought early on when I started in the hobby that I should probably get rid of. I was going through my pipes this past weekend, and I have 16 Dunhills, which I never smoke and probably never will. I had thought of selling them off; however, the more I started thinking about it, I have tons of space, so maybe I would be better off keeping them. Will I be better of selling them 20 or 25 years from now or today? That is the question I have to answer, and I'm not sure what that answer is.
Therapy? A 12-step program? :laughat:
If space isn't an issue, then what's to lose by keeping them? Who knows, you might suddenly develop a liking for Dunhill and would regret having sold all those pipes.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks for all the interesting responses, guys. It's fun to hear how different people handle the numbers problem. For me, all 30+ are more or less "in the rotation," and I choose the pipe based on the kind of tobacco I'm smoking, how long I plan to smoke, etc. For me, more than 40 would be totally unmanageable. For some pipes, I'd be polishing their stems as often as smoking them.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Pitch - I used to spend inordinate amounts of time polishing my vulcanite stems, with Bebbia stem polish, to retard oxidation. Then I started using Obsodian Oil. As long as I clean the stem with a paper towel when done, reapply a smidgen of Obsidian before racking, I rarely if ever have to re-polish a stem. I used olive oil for a while, but found this would go rancid after a while.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm currently at 42. Interestingly, I've purchased 80 pipes in the past three years, 42 remain. I'm really trying to hold at 40-ish, 50 would definitely be a maximum number for my current usage pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.