PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
cid_1D61329A33C142B28A91592DD66B642FLesterPC.jpg

Thought you would enjoy this educational moment in American history. Tobacco Smoke Enemas (1750s – 1810s)
The tobacco enema was used to infuse tobacco smoke into a patient’s rectum for various medical purposes, primarily the resuscitation of drowning victims. A rectal tube inserted into the anus was connected to a fumigator and bellows that forced the smoke towards the rectum. The warmth of the smoke was thought to promote respiration, but doubts about the credibility of tobacco enemas led to the popular phrase “Blowin' Smoke up your Ass".

(Exactly how they got the smoke from a pipe to the bellows is up to your imagination).

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
That is funny every time and unfortunately I have seen one before.I was most commonly used to wake people that had passed out and drowning victims from what I understand.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Can't.......Get...........Image.........Out.......Of......My.........Head........AAAAAAAAAgrhhhhh :rofl:

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
What freaks me out is OK, maybe if you were the first person for it to be used on. But what about the 10th or 20th person, etc. I mean it's not like they had disposable tips back then...
I wonder if they used different tobaccos for different ailments? If your passed out, they use an English blend...

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
OMG.. that's unbelievable... Never will be able to look at a bellows assembly the same again without remembering this....

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
On the serious side, any idea how much something like that is valued at? And guys, now you know what to look out for at the swap meets to get yourself on Antiques Roadshow! LOL

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
I have ulcerative colitis and that is probably something they would have tried on me back in the day lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.