PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
I read conflicting advice on this topic, does anyone have a strong opinion one way or another?
Thanks

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Of course you can jar a tin of aged tobacco after it has been opened. By opening the tin you will have interrupted the aging process, which will then restart once the tobacco is tightly packed and jarred. The aging process will not be exactly the same as if the tobacco tin had not been opened, but you can absolutely jar it.
There is a wrinkle to this. If the tobacco in question is really old, like 40 years old and more, exposure to fresh oxygen for an extended period of time can cause the tobacco to deteriorate with surprising rapidity. When opening a geriatric tin, jar immediately and pack the jar firmly, while leaving some out in another jar that you will want to smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No strong opinion, but in general, I'd smoke a well-aged just-opened tin. I might jar it while I did that, but I'd go ahead and put it in rotation. Opening a tin suggests you are ready to use the product, it would seem to me. Aging a tin for years then moving it to a jar and aging it some more is just interrupting the process. Might work fine, but certainly not recommended.

May 4, 2015
I was concerned about some 1980 Mac Baren Mixture that was jarred. Opened it, smoked some, been picking at it and it's fine. Doesn't seem to want to disintegrate on me or anything.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've been thinking about this, as well.
I've added several 8 ounce cans to my little cellar and wondering if I should have broken them into smaller jars now, or will it suffice, in a year or two, to subdivide them when I'm ready to break the seal and smoke some.
jay-roger.jpg

May 4, 2015
I've added several 8 ounce cans to my little cellar and wondering if I should have broken them into smaller jars now, or will it suffice, in a year or two, to subdivide them when I'm ready to break the seal and smoke some.
Doing it later is fine. I'd suspect you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a jar that has aged a year, been opened, rejarred and then aged more VS. one that was just aged for the same amount of time.
As we always say, aging doesn't universally mean "better," only different.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I was concerned about some 1980 Mac Baren Mixture that was jarred. Opened it, smoked some, been picking at it and it's fine. Doesn't seem to want to disintegrate on me or anything.
My experiences with this aren't that the leaf will turn to mulch so much as the flavors will really fade.

May 4, 2015
My experiences with this aren't that the leaf will turn to mulch so much as the flavors will really fade.
Ya - It's stayed really nice for me since it's been opened. It's 8oz. so we'll see how it holds up over more time, but it's been opened 6 months now and it's still very tasty.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Thanks guys.
The back story is that I recently opened up a 2002 McC X-mas cheer and it was very good, much sweeter and richer flavor than the 2016 x-mas cheer I was also smoking in rotation. As it was the only tin I own, I wanted to jar up at least 1/2 of it, to slowly enjoy over time, but was worried about the flavor profile fading, which I read can happen.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I give an unequivocal "yes" to both sides of the equation! I put such tins in a bail top jar, which keeps them at a constant moisture, haven't experienced flavor fade over the course of several months up to a year.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Thanks guys.
The back story is that I recently opened up a 2002 McC X-mas cheer and it was very good, much sweeter and richer flavor than the 2016 x-mas cheer I was also smoking in rotation. As it was the only tin I own, I wanted to jar up at least 1/2 of it, to slowly enjoy over time, but was worried about the flavor profile fading, which I read can happen.
That's what Christmas Cheer is for. I do the exact same thing as you're planning on doing all the time and I never notice a difference in taste. I think a lot of people tend to over think this stuff and drive themselves mad in the process of splitting all their tobacco into 4oz jars. I bet their wives love it too.
Doing it later is fine. I'd suspect you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a jar that has aged a year, been opened, rejarred and then aged more VS. one that was just aged for the same amount of time.
As we always say, aging doesn't universally mean "better," only different.
Bingo!

Status
Not open for further replies.