48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pretty sure that I cannot improve it. But, does it rattle around inside the pipe?

On eBay, I found a listing once a few years ago for a whole gross of boxes of the old 6mm Savinelli balsa inserts, for a mere pittance. But, I really only have two pipes that use the inserts, and only a few tobaccos that I will use them with inside the pipe, so they will last me a lifetime. The huge box of them for just a few bucks made it way less stressful than making my own, and will last me a lifetime.

You might keep an eye out. After buying my box, I just never looked for them again, but I assume they are still out there occasionally.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Since the primary reason for the filter is to dissipate steam (heat), I would think that standard heat dissipation designs would apply if you want to improve them. i.e. - increase the surface area as much as possible. Look at Savinelli's 9mm filter and you'll see what I mean.
517kKC9MFvL.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Why on earth would you want it to pass a cleaner if you are using a balsa insert to absorb the moisture?

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Why on earth would you want it to pass a cleaner if you are using a balsa insert to absorb the moisture?
Ha, I didn't even notice that part. Good question, it makes no sense.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I use homemade balsas in 6mm pipes myself. They do rattle if you put them in and shake the pipe when they are still dry. I don't gyrate my pipe much while actually smoking, though, and once they catch a bit of moisture they're pretty firmly anchored anyway.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
I tried to bore a hole through the center of a Savinelli 9mm Balsa with a SMALL drill bit.I cut the end flat with a razor blade first.The balsa began to shred as soon as the bit started in.

If you could just get a hole all the way through,it would improve the draw,and expose more surface area to the smoke,but the balsa is not very forgiving.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The square balsa stock I use in 6mm pipes has a cross-sectional area much smaller than 6mm. Voila- no draw restriction.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I cut my filters like that. I noticed that a center of balsa square stock looks more spongy than outer layers, so I decided to open up the center as much as possible
2wpmd87.jpg

for 6mm
for 9mm I just put 2 pieces together

2wfo8s0.jpg

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
Great efforts on your filter design!
For anyone using balsa and wanting to improve on the Savinelli design...you owe it to yourself to try these. They can be found on Amazon under the Aldo Velani OR Gasparini brand names...but as of today, it appears that supplies are rather low from those sellers. Most recently, I discovered that our friends over at www.aristocob.com began carrying them recently, so I snagged a few packs at at good price. However for some reason, I'm not seeing them at the Aristocob site today.
Don't judge me on my draftsmanship...but here is my rendering of what the tip of this filter looks like as compared to a Savinelli.
xnahxz.jpg

The darker grey represents the end of the filter. As you can see, there are 6 points which touch the inside of your tenon...thus creating 6 separate passages for air to get through, and a total of 10 flat surfaces for moisture to be absorbed by. In my own smoking experience...when I do smoke a 6mm pipe of any kind, I use these, and find them to absorb more than Savinelli filters. Flow / draft is just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.