Can you identify the make of this pipe recovered from the Titanic wreck?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

titanicexplorer

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2011
A remarkable object recovered from the Titanic wreck (which sank in 1912) was this pipe, which still contained traces of tobacco. Can anyone identify the make of pipe? I'd like to find an identical pipe:
10273905371349355_QW3qg1kT_f_zps5220200e.jpg

pipe-1_zps6048af87.jpg

Another view- I think this might be another Titanic pipe:
JK53_Titanic_Artifacts_II_RGB_zps89539ea1.jpg

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
No idea, but it's a sharp looking pipe. Though I doubt it's one, it reminds me of some Stanwell models (that have a stem a lot like that one).
The closest I could fine (stem only) is this one:
10342.jpg

But they have many models using this type of stem.

Aug 1, 2012
The button and band look a bit like a Kaywoodie but given where it started from, that's not terribly likely.

Aug 1, 2012
Ok KB&B. :) I do have an old KB&B from around that era that has the same stem and button shape as well as a nickel band (they did silver too I believe) but the bowl shape is more of a dublin on mine.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
This is really interesting. So I guess that's what briar looks like after it's been soaking in freezing sea water for decades.
the band looks like it's rusted, so that rules out a number of precious metals.
I figure though if you can't actually read the maker's mark, then it's just guess work. If it can be determined that the mark actually IS a maker's mark, then that would narrow it down a bit, I think.
If I was seriously researching this, I would find out where in the wreckage the pipe was found, and find out if that location can be cross-referenced with the passenger manifest.
The passenger manifest would tell you the most likely country of origin of the owner, certainly, which is a little more information to help narrow down the list.

englishdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Denver, CO
Looking carefully at the third picture, I think that the metal band might be a repair. Also, the button on the stem is too short on the top to be a p-lip.

Status
Not open for further replies.