PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Can someone provide me some info on this logo please.

ID.jpg

May 31, 2012
anchor = Birmingham England

lion = fineness of silver
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/infos/hallmark-birming.html
Unsure about the star, usually that spot has a date code letter,

you'll have to do further research.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Never seen a mark like that on silver before. Seems rather suspect, the other hallmarks arent particularly well stamped. Can you post more pics of the full pipe?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
If I remember correctly, "New Silver" is not silver at all but a mix of nickle and copper (and maybe something else). No "Sterling" or "925" marks, so I guess these maker's marks are bogus.
In any event, does the pipe itself have any other markings?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I think bigvan is right. Those definitely don't look like British or European hallmarks for silver. Nor for silver plate. The three marks are there, I think, just to give the appearance of being hallmarked silver.
What does the rest of the pipe look like?

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
It was on ebay. I was just watching it.

IS it ok to post a ebay link here? If not admin please remove and let me know its not allowed.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271393275529?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Doesn't look particularly silver, though i appreciate that's hardly a scientific answer. I'd have bought it though for that price, can't go wrong really.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Hawke:
I'm not a mod here, but it's my understanding that eBay links are fine -- just as long as they aren't to an auction you're running. (I believe exceptions are made for eBay Stores that are operated by sponsors of this site.) Otherwise, it's looked on as self-promotion rather than as an informational link.
Did you win this pipe? I'm not sure I'd have gone for it; the seller's lack of regard for his listing bothered me (mentioning that it would need to be "reamed and cleaned," which, as a meerschaum with zero cake, was incorrect; it was just boilerplate from some other auction). I was also struck by what look like many hairline cracks in the meerschaum bowl. I'd hate for this to be anyone's first meerschaum experience, as I fear it's only going to end up in a wasted $5.50.
Bob

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
nah rmbittner, I didnt even bid on it. Im just intrigued by the logo markings like those. Trying to learn a little on these details. Id like another meerschaum but want an older antique one. That one didnt seem to be up to the standard I am looking for.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thank goodness you did not buy the pipe. The bowl has had the arse torn out of it! It also looks like it has also been exposed to either water or oil as shown by the markings on the outside of the bowl. The damage to to meerschaum surface is caused by it being man handled when it was new. The longer you smoke them the harder the surface becomes - think of milk teeth and that will illustrate the point. I am not sure about the socket arrangement between the stem and the shank either - certainly looks like amberine to me but then I have not examined the pipe close up! A very lucky miss even at a $1.

Status
Not open for further replies.