Can you guys smoke a full bowl without drinking something?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
12 Fresh Chacom Pipes
36 Fresh Brigham Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Yes, I can. I find that smoke and drink association is something more of a habit than a need. If I find myself working and smoking I can finish a bowl forgetting to sip a water or something.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I can smoke a whole bowl without a drink. Preferably though I would have a drink close by. Usually water, tea or coffee.

Alcohol and smoking the pipe just don't work for me.

Today I had a 3 hour drive and enjoyed a pipe on the way. Forgot the water bottle though, so had no choice but to go without!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yeah, I can.
When I started out I wanted to drink something whilst smoking in the hopes it would prevent tongue bite. It never did. Now that my tongue has become a bit more 'acclimated' to pipes, I can do without the drink.

Jan 8, 2013
Sure I can. But why would I want to? I find my time enjoying a pipe is also a great time to enjoy tea, rum, coffee, rum, beer, rum, cider, rum, cola, rum, cola and rum, rum, and rum.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
As for non-aromatics: Something like Carter Hall? Yes. Something like Stokkebye's Founders Blend or Carolina Red Flake? No...so it just depends when it comes to these. I can for almost all aromatics though, they usually don't have as much bite.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm with Anthony. The times that I can enjoy my pipe are for relaxation. I usually have a tea or some water. It helps me discern flavours.
I won't turn down a scotch when enjoying my pipe with company though.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I *can* do it, but don't like to. I always have coffee or water to sip while I smoke. To me the whole point of pipe smoking is to do something pleasant. Not having something to drink is not that to me.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I always have something to drink with a pipe, except while walking my dog. That usually isn't a whole bowl though.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I can, but like a lot of these guys, I'm relaxing at home most times and enjoying something to drink with my pipe. For Anthony, that's apparently a lot of rum. For me, I enjoy a whiskey or even a cranberry Manhatten just because they're so damned refreshing.
In the car, on the road, or standing outside my office while lunting about, I generally don't carry a glass or cup or bottle around. Just me and the pipe and nature's splendor.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I always have water or coffee near by. I think a swig of water every so often helps the flavor pop and cleanses the palate. Once I stopped drinking alcohol, the pipe and cigar tobacco flavors became very vivid and apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.