Can you bake off or dry off PG or Flavorings?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bttreadwell

Lurker
May 4, 2017
This may be a silly question., but is there a way to remove or minimize the presence of PG and/or excessive flavorings in pipe tobacco? I recently got back into smoking a pipe and bought a bunch of aros, some are great, but some are very heavily flavored. Interestingly, ones I loved then now seem to coat my tongue while smoking. My assumption is that it is either the PG or the flavorings or both. Any way to get rid of that so there is more of the tobacco flavor vs the toppings? I have read about baking in the oven or maybe even aging the flavoring off??
Thanks for your help and suggestions.
BT

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: You can reduce some flavoring by heating, but you'll have to do it in an open container. You'll lose all the moisture and some of the tobacco flavor, too. PG does not evaporate to any significant extent.

bttreadwell

Lurker
May 4, 2017
Bummer. So if I tried it, maybe bake on low for a couple hours, I guess? But, based on what you are saying, I could lose some tobacco flavor too. I guess I need to chalk it up to live and learn, but I'm also a tightwad, hate to see it go to waste.
I also thought about trying to mix it. Maybe get some straight burley or Virginia and see what happens?

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
That is what I would do if you don't like it as is. Carter hall or similar should yield an acceptable smoke mixed with an aromatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.