Can We Turn Off the Spell Check Feature?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I noticed some months ago that spell checking was added to the forums. I've had my spelling "corrected" a few times where the system thought it knew better than I. Frustrating.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Don't try hard ... just start reading:
Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh?
Yaeh, and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt!
Take that, Spell Check!! :nana:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
To Turn Off Spell Check:
Right-click in the white dialog box (where you type your message)

Uncheck "Check Spelling"
splchk-vi.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Works in Win7 and Firefox.

You can do it in any OS or browser, just fish around and think about it.

Or Google it.

Or do nothing and just complain about it.

Lots of options.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think spellcheck is entitled to its opinion. I used to do a lot of writing about research, wherein a significant part

of the vocabulary was simply too new for spellcheck to have caught up to it. It was "correct," inasmuch as the

scientist naming the effect, phenomenon, whatever, had spelled the word, and I had spelled it the same way.

So when spellcheck helped me out, often as not, I'd just smile and leave it be. Take it up with Dr. Brilliant,

spellcheck, and don't bother me with it. Actually, some of the words were in medical or the newest science

dictionaries, but not in spellcheck. Language is malleable and continually evolving and transforming itself. That's

why it's good to stick to the tried and true routines and habits, so we don't all become unintelligible to each other.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So ... spellcheck isn't coming from outside? It's in the house? It's on my desk? Spooky.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Spellcheck resides deep inside all of us, however it can (and often is) hijacked by external ethereal forces. Proper shielding (aka Faraday Cage) is required in order to guarantee proper SpellCheck functions.
I0000LBrNE.sqs5Q.jpg'

Status
Not open for further replies.