banner

Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

Can This Pipe be Saved?

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

cc532c

Login to Send PM

I have a pipe with serious bun damage to the bowl: 2 indentations inside and blackening on the outside. Speaking for myself (a habit of mine) I deny all responsibility (another habit) but I'm afraid if I try to use it, it may burn through.

Is there any way to repair it?

Posted 5 months ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nope. Bun damage is a deal-breaker.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  3. mikefu

mikefu

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Particularly if they were sticky buns. All that sugar will heat up like napalm, destroying briar, flesh, and bone in its path.

Posted 5 months ago #
  4. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

It's really impossible to tell without pictures. I've seen some unbelievable restorations before, but in this case, the juice may not be worth the squeeze if the pipe has really extensive damage, unless the pipe has high sentimental or monetary value.

Or you can just keep smoking it (verrrrry slowly and carefully) and hope for the best.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 5 months ago #
  5. mikefu

mikefu

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Seriously though, I think pipe mud (or a similar alternative; discussion of which is a whole mess of thread-worthy opinions) is your only real possibile solution, and then try it and see what happens.

Posted 5 months ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

cc532c

Login to Send PM

mikefu -- Pipe mud???

Posted 5 months ago #
  7. mikefu

mikefu

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do a search on the forum for pipe mud and/or pipe cement. Basically cigar ash and water mix to form a putty to fix in-bowl issues. Aristocob sells some that I like the best of what I’ve used. Other fellas have other opinions on what they like to use. Here's a link: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pipe-mud-and-pipe-cement-warning-giant-post

Posted 5 months ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

cc532c

Login to Send PM

Muchos Thankos!
    (in the words of my people)

Posted 5 months ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

tkcolo

Login to Send PM

Pipe mud always falls out for me. I use fireplace mortar to fill spider web cracks. Tasteless, very strong, and accepts moisture. I haven't ever used it to build up a thick repair, but i'd try it. The downside is that is is a little gritty. So your tamper feels like its rubbing up against rock. But cake will smooth it out. The link below was gray. I thought after I used it it would be visible, but I never noticed it. You can get it in black too. I don't think it matters. I seal off the tip and seem to use the same tube once a year.

fireplace mortar

Posted 5 months ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

cc532c

Login to Send PM

VERY helpful -- Thanks!

Posted 5 months ago #
  11. verporchting

verporchting

Login to Send PM

I'm still waiting for pictures of bun damage ...

Posted 5 months ago #
  12. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, including this site's album such as eBay, Amazon, you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos, and the same method works for obtaining the image's URL for copying into the IMG box.

There are other good illustrations and steps on how to post photos in the "Latest Discussions" box,
    LINK to that thread

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 5 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   paulfg, nunnster, lightxmyfire, ben88, pipestud, troyniss, sasquatch, ashdigger, hugodrax, pappymac, nhhiggy