PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc532c

Lurker
Feb 15, 2019
I have a pipe with serious bun damage to the bowl: 2 indentations inside and blackening on the outside. Speaking for myself (a habit of mine) I deny all responsibility (another habit) but I'm afraid if I try to use it, it may burn through.
Is there any way to repair it?

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Particularly if they were sticky buns. All that sugar will heat up like napalm, destroying briar, flesh, and bone in its path.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
It's really impossible to tell without pictures. I've seen some unbelievable restorations before, but in this case, the juice may not be worth the squeeze if the pipe has really extensive damage, unless the pipe has high sentimental or monetary value.
Or you can just keep smoking it (verrrrry slowly and carefully) and hope for the best.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Seriously though, I think pipe mud (or a similar alternative; discussion of which is a whole mess of thread-worthy opinions) is your only real possibile solution, and then try it and see what happens.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Do a search on the forum for pipe mud and/or pipe cement. Basically cigar ash and water mix to form a putty to fix in-bowl issues. Aristocob sells some that I like the best of what I’ve used. Other fellas have other opinions on what they like to use. Here's a link: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pipe-mud-and-pipe-cement-warning-giant-post

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
Pipe mud always falls out for me. I use fireplace mortar to fill spider web cracks. Tasteless, very strong, and accepts moisture. I haven't ever used it to build up a thick repair, but i'd try it. The downside is that is is a little gritty. So your tamper feels like its rubbing up against rock. But cake will smooth it out. The link below was gray. I thought after I used it it would be visible, but I never noticed it. You can get it in black too. I don't think it matters. I seal off the tip and seem to use the same tube once a year.
fireplace mortar

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, including this site's album such as eBay, Amazon, you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos, and the same method works for obtaining the image's URL for copying into the IMG box.
There are other good illustrations and steps on how to post photos in the "Latest Discussions" box,

LINK to that thread

Status
Not open for further replies.