PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have been eye balling this for a few weeks now, and the price has gotten quite affordable, but my major drawback is this burnt rim. Can this be restored?
ea0caa53b5394b3124d0a896e61dd326-4514376-1000-1000.jpg

a8cb0ab7c78d331805300914a5771ee0-1119827-1000-1000.jpg

It's a nording, shape seems blow fish, not sure though which model it is.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That poor pipe. I can just hear it screaming from the blowtorch used to light it. That's way past my abilities.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Yes that can be restored, however the rim will not be perfect after taking the briar down so far. There may be serious burn issues under the rim lava as well. That you won’t know until you begin. Depending on price it may be worth it though.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
How the hell do people even manage to do this to a pipe?

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I wouldn't chance it. The charring will run too deep and the rebuild will be extreme. Unless it's practically free, I would save my money. There will always be other pipes.

I have seen some ridiculous pipe repair magic happen by some of our resident magicians. I am sure it can be fixed.
I wouldn't call it a blowfish. I usually think of those as being flattened on the sides, like panels. But, it is a very handsome Nording, worthy of repair, and to be enjoyed for a few more decades by someone worthy.
Get it, get it fixed, and enjoy. I can't wait to see pics of the restore.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a pretty pipe but it's a charity case. The price should be decidedly low, since it could be a total loss once you start working on it. Someone lit it with a flame thrower, and I imagine the damage is inside the chamber as well. Heavy Handed Harry used it up, and now it may or may not reward rescue.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Yeah that would be a hard pass for me. If thats what it looks like outside god knows what lurks inside. I think it would be a challenge for me to burn a briar like that..

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
If you want to clean it up and smoke it then go for it if the price is right. If you are thinking of returning it to showroom glory then pass. If you have time you might ask the seller some probing questions about the condition of the inside of the bowl, but this pipe is a gamble. If you are lucky you might end up with a decent pipe. It just depends on how much you want to bet on it being salvageable. There are lots of Nording estate pipes on eBay. Maybe you should keep looking.

Jan 8, 2013
As someone who loves Nordings... that just pisses me off. I wouldn't risk it. That rim is toast. Sure it could probably be cut down, but no telling what kind of damage is done the inside of the chamber. That was probably once a lovely pipe. It's a shame to see someone f*%$ it up like that. :x

Status
Not open for further replies.