Can Someone Please Make These For Me

(27 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by npod
  • Latest reply from craiginthecorn
  1. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was at the Davidoff store in Atlanta yesterday and saw these absolutely wonderful Dunhill pipe stem stockings. They protect the vulcanite stems from oxidation when on a rack. They were given to the store directly from Dunhill and they can't be purchased. I called around and nobody is able to get them.

If anyone knows how to sew or has a significant other that wants to give this pattern a shot, I would be happy to arrange a commission.

Neal
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't use them in a lighted situation; the part covering a bit of the shank will end up lighter than the rest of the bowl. Of course they could be trimmed to not do that.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like an easy project for an ardent sower, and people are either ardent sewers or don't sew at all. I can do buttons and the occasional small tear. These would be great items. However, it also nibbles at me that there is some other small light weight sleeve like this that would double as a stem sock, and if it occurs to me, I'll post again.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Am I missing something or is this just a strip of fabric folded lengthwise and sewn along the edges?

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Am I missing something or is this just a strip of fabric folded lengthwise and sewn along the edges?

Not really. They are sewn with the seem inside. Classy. I would consider actually using them if they looked this nice. Currently, I put my vulcanite stem pipes in a pipe cabinet with drawers to avoid oxidation. My Castello pipes sit on the racks in the light because the stems are lucite and not a worry.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not really. They are sewn with the seem inside.

Ha!.. Bunch on non-sewers!
    They are sewed just like you would a pillow case. You sew the seam on the outside, then when done turn it inside out thus giving the appearance of it being sewn from the inside.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pretty sure you sew along the seam, then turn inside out to hide it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is reminding of the scene from Mr Mom when he tries to make an analogy using a Rocky movie. The point gets lost in the minutia.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't get it. Destroy the appeal of seeing a proper pipe by putting a condom on the stem to avoid the oxidation that will make it ugly. Although this is a worthy goal, it comes at a steep price.

And of course you could just clean the stems, which of course if you were willing to do, your pipes would never be ugly and they wouldn't have to wear the funny coverups.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Doesn't appear to be doing much. The top pipe in the first pic and the bottom pipe in the second pic are showing a bit of green.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[quote]Destroy the appeal of seeing a proper pipe by putting a condom on the stem[quote]

Didn't you dad teach you to always protect your pipe?

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What do you reckon the fabric is made of? My wife is pretty handy with her sewing machine and has made a few items here and there. She's about to start on a new quilt for our bed. If you have some kind of idea what the fabric is or even what you think might work, then maybe she could give it a go.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Carolina, don't let her forget the white spot. I suppose that's so that when people look at them in the stores, they know they're looking at a Dunhill junker.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I buy cheap cotton work gloves and cut off the fingers to fit over the stem. It works.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Where is a Davidoff store in Atlanta? Never heard of the place.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Just found the Davidoff store on Google.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. ignaciojn

ignaciojn

Login to Send PM

Or you can use these.

Ignacio
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

hagley says cut the fingers off cheap work gloves; brilliant! I love a practical fix.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are some good ideas above. Some strange ones also. After looking at my Pipes I realized that the stems are all different lengths and thus a universal stocking won’t work. But good idea for people with standard English pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How in the hell does a porous material prevent oxidation?

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It keeps the sunlight off the stem, reducing the likelihood of oxidation. Trust me, it works.

They are not heavy work gloves, but rather the thin type.

Aquadoc asked "How in the hell does a porous material prevent oxidation?"

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The primary agents that cause rubber and plastics to deteriorate are UV radiation (as you mention - light), high humidity, high temperature, oxygen and pollutant gases, and stress and other direct physical forces. I understand that it will block UV as a source but the overall causes of oxidation are more than light exposure.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

panamacharlie

Login to Send PM

The heck with the sleeves, where can I get those nifty hangers?

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After looking at my Pipes I realized that the stems are all different lengths
    There you go! 5 fingers in a glove...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha! I had been thinking about making something like these! I have been lining my pipe storage boxes with cloth used to prevent silver from tarnishing. The primary reason is that many of my pipes have silver fitments, but had wondered if the sulphur absorbent properties might also prevent vulcanite oxidation. It's WAY too soon to know if it helps. Anyway, it had occurred to me that it might be useful to make small socks like these and thought that black silver cloth might be a good material.

Does the white dot suggest they came from The White Spot Pipe company?

I wouldn't use them in a lighted situation; the part covering a bit of the shank will end up lighter than the rest of the bowl. Of course they could be trimmed to not do that.

I think I can fairly definitively put this concern to rest. I do not believe briar is photo-reactive like cherry, for example. I had this same concern having purchased at auction a set of two dozen fine, unsmoked English pipes that had been mounted in (gulp) metal conduit clips in a museum showcase since the 1980s. I was concerned that the briar underneath the clip and the side facing the back of the case would be lighter in color. I was worried about the wrong thing. No problems with color, but scratches from the clips were another story.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. raevans

raevans

Login to Send PM

You could probably use a felt pen sleeve. Looks about the same and you can pick up the sleeves for under a buck a piece in bulk.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

White Spot Pipe Company? Well, duh, if I had taken ten seconds to read Neal’s original post, I’d have see that they’re Dunhill. Of course, if you could buy them, that White Spot would mean they’d cost three or four times the normal price. I can’t believe what they charge for their accessories.

My current solution is to only display pipes with acrylic stems. Those with vulcanite stay in drawers or lidded pipe trays.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   weezell, craig61a, milehighpiper, cshubhra, georged, trouttimes, pepesdad1, acidpox, ssjones, sasquatch, chasingembers, olkofri