PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
This seems simple by itself, but I'm not quite sure what bird's eye means when applied to pipe esthetics. Is it just referring to the overhead appearance of a pipe, or the way the grain appears?

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
If you cut straight grain across the individual rods appear as bird's eye. Therefor birds eve is as rare as straight grain. Shel

May 4, 2015
If you think of holding a handful of straws, grain would be looking at them side on and Birdseye would be looking at them top down.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
2014-06-07%2023.15.28_zpsoalr3epe.jpg
[/URL]

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yup, just the crosscut of the grain. Really not that rare, all of the smooth pipes that I have, have got birdseye. Here's the side of my fugu blowfish's bowl. Very dimensional birdseye.

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/chasingembers/album/picture/15341

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I have a custom Fender Telecaster with a birds eye neck...To me it always looked like knots in the wood. I didn't realize it was how the wood was cut.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Sorry, just showing a birdseye closeup. Here is the whole thing from the other side to show off the plateau.

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/chasingembers/album/picture/15243

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Holy shit, Chasingembers!
That is one beautiful pipe.
I asked the same thing several years ago, Sparrowhawk, and nobody responded. (Figured I'd asked an inexcusably dumb-ass question so I crawled off to the corner - one of the very few times I haven't been helped or educated around here.)
Between Pipesmokingtom's explanation and Mrenglish'es brilliant graphic I finally get it.
Thank you, Sparrow.
Fnord

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Wow, that is a cool pipe, chasingembers!
I always think birdseye reminds me of something you would see in an HP Lovecraft story. Some insanely crazy creature with eyes all over it, always in a chaotic rotation independent of each other.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Here's some sandblasted endgrain/birdseye:
VNJI1.jpg

Reminds me of Freddy Krueger.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Thank you for the kind words. Originally I wanted it sandblasted, but Bruce said that he couldn't bring himself to do it. I am very glad that he didn't!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for the graphic explanation, Mrenglish.
W I am confused between the term grain versus figure. Would the birdseye, flame, pattern not be what is called figure in the wood working community? The grain is direction and the pattern is figure?
Chassing, that is a gorgeous pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
chasing, excellent looking pipe.
I love Occhio Di Pernice(the italians call birdseye this) on a pipe. I had always wanted a Castello Collection Occhi di Pernice and finally got one for a steal. They normally go for 650-750 retail and normally 350 plus on the estate market. About 1.5 years ago, I finally got one for a price I could live with(184.00) delivered. Here are some pics of the one I scored. The pics are not good but you can see some birdseye, if the pipe was polished and proper pictures taken, it would look awesome. When buying an Occhio, what you want is for both sides of the pipe to have an equal amount, plus you want the cross grain to be equal on the front and back of the pipe. When you see one really well proportioned, they go for more money.

As you can see both sides of the pipe is very equal in the amount that is there, and both the front and back both have a nice cross grain that is also very equal in terms of size. Sometimes you will see a pipe where one side had all kinds of nice birdseye but the other may have very little.
Here is a new one where you can see, one side is nicer than the other. I have no idea why this one is more money than this one they also have as the second one to me is much more eqaul in terms of Occhio on each side.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/castello/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=161937

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/castello/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=175181
Interestingly the retail on the first is 750 and the second is 685, and the first one is a KK and the second is a K. Someone screwed up as the second one should have been the KK and the first a K as the second one is definitely a bigger pipe. Castello screws up pretty often on sizes and grading. I would be all over number 2 the darker one if it was in my price range. Occhio's are the only pipes I will buy with an acrylic stem as I just love looking at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.