Can Someone Decipher This Tobacco Description, Please?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
"Kendal Mixed is a pure tobacco blend with no additional favors. Comprised of over half (54%) Bright Virginias from Malawi, Zimbabwe and Brazil. The Dark side combines dark air-cured tobacco from India (15%) with dark-fired from Malawi, Tanzania and Uganda (22%) and Light Malawi Burleys (19%). For those smokers who simply prefer the real taste of tobacco this is an excellent choice."
Does this mean that Kendal Mixed is basically a Virginia/Burley blend, using African, South American, and Indian tobaccos?
For those who haven't smoked it, this is a shag-cut tobacco, like Drum cigarette tobacco, that smells similar in the tin, and burns quite fast. Can't say I love it. But it may be just the ticket to add a little amperage to dull, weak aromatics.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I guess it would up the amperage. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but if my math is right -
54% Bright Virginia

15% Dark air cured

22% Dark fired

19% Burley

equals 110% tobacco!
Now, I believe I've smoked pure and unadulterated 100% tobacco before, but never 110%. I gotta get me some of that stuff!
Pipestud

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
I hadn't done the math, Steve. I took the description from the Tobacco Supermarket website. Someone, somewhere shouldn't get a raise this year... :?

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
Hi Lawrence,
The stuff I have is pretty dry. I haven 't smoked Five Brothers, so I don 't know if this stuff compares.

Aug 1, 2012
Here's a better description from P&C for the same tobacco.
The main distinguishing feature of this mixture is the high proportion of Indian dark air-cured tobacco in the blend (35%), which lends a certain 'cigar-type' aroma to the smoke. Combined with 27% dark-fired leaf and only 38% flue-cured Virginias the blend provides a fairly strong smoke.
Actually looks to be all VA. If it's dry, you might want to re-hydrate as VAs don't like to burn too dry, it kills the flavor.

Aug 1, 2012
And here's the description from the blender's website.
KENDAL MIXED - THIS EASY SMOKING TOBACCO BLENDED FROM TOP QUALITY LEAF AFFORDS THE SMOKER SUFFICIENTLY STRONG, YET SMOOTH COOL TOBACCO WITH THE FLAVOUR OF PURE LEAF GENTLY STOVED TO ENHANCED ITS BEST CHARACTERISTICS.
Yes, it's all caps on there too. No, I don't like being shouted at either.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
Thank you, Captainsousie, for the information. The tobacco is strong, but certainly not strong enough to cause any problems. I'll rehydrate, as you suggest, and see how it smokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.