PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
This pipe caught my eye. I don't see a maker so I wondered if some of you more experienced guys could help identify it.
20160316_174343_zps2kzzbfop.jpg

20160316_174417_zpsh52mu4ap.jpg

20160316_174437_zpstne2hemo.jpg

It is quite fetching!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The font style of the shape number, 82, reminds me of the one used by Parker......

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Two relevant pages from the 1977 Parker catalog, note shape 82A in the second row in the first. The second talks about the Private Label Program.
park6-600x461.jpg

park10-600x462.jpg

For more see,
http://chriskeene.com/parkfront.htm
I'm going with Parker.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Looks like Parker may be correct. Parker is a Dunhill second? I read a few articles that suggest that is the case.
In those articles they say that the Parker number is to the right of the made in london stamp - this one is on the left. Also, I read that the Parkers had acrylic stems - this one is definitely vulcanite.
Is this possibly a Dunhill with a replacement stem? The store thinks it is an unmarked Dunhill. Do those exsist!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The story about Parker is well covered in the pipedia article,
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Parker
Left/Right, the first thing about British pipe markings is the modifiers "usually" or "mostly" or even "almost always" because inevitably exceptions are found. Older Parkers had vulcanite stems.
A Dunhill, I would say no. Made by Parker from what I'm seeing.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Like a Parker second you mean? Because a Parker should have a Parker stamp. Stem bit doesn't look like an older Parker. English yes. But it could be made by almost any company.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Well in any case, Parker/Private Label/Second, is it a fair price?

doctorbob

Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
The Parker catalog from the 50's on the Chris Keene site that talks about private label pipes, much earlier than the "one and a half years" stated in the 77 catalog. I have what is almost certainly a Parker private label with a quality, hand cut vulcanite stem, so they are out there. My pipe takes a Dunhill inner tube, is not a Dunhill, and is an extraordinary smoke.
The price does seem a wee bit optimistic, to say the least.
Doc

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
In my opinion as there is no name on the pipe no more than 50.00. I guess it depends on what it is worth to you.

doctorbob

Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
A private label pipe should have a tobacconist stamp on it, this one doesn't. I would treat it as a nice used basket pipe, and offer accordingly. I wish you luck.
If they are trying to pass it off as a Dunhill of some sort, they are delusional IMHO.
Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.