PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
The last time I smoked in my garage, I was sitting in my chair by the back wall. Then I noticed a HUGE bumblebee that was very angry, buzzing around the front. Basically, he was blocking my escape route. Every time he got near the back, I blew great clouds of smoke in his direction. This did not help. My poor tongue! The pipe had thick walls and I could feel the heat through it. Finally, I got the nerve to sneak past him, so I could smoke in peace, outside.
Yesterday, I found him outside, so I grabbed a can of wasp spray. He learned a valuable lesson.
Below is a picture of my garage.
The last time I smoked in my garage, I was sitting in my chair by the back wall. Then I noticed a HUGE bumblebee that was very angry, buzzing around the front. Basically, he was blocking my escape route. Every time he got near the back, I blew great clouds of smoke in his direction. This did not help. My poor tongue! The pipe had thick walls and I could feel the heat through it. Finally, I got the nerve to sneak past him, so I could smoke in peace, outside.
Yesterday, I found him outside, so I grabbed a can of wasp spray. He learned a valuable lesson.
Below is a picture of my garage.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Glad I'm not the only one who has tried to fumigate bugs with tobacco smoke. It does not seem to work.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Wasp spray is my best friend when I smoke outside in the summer. I feel like the pipe smoke actually attracts all the flying beasts!

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
The large bumblebees almost never sting. I've not even heard of someone being stung by one, but I know they can.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Glad it worked out. When I first saw the photo and post title, I was worried that you had an explosion from the dust from your collector....
We have honey and native bees around the property year round. Only one sting in 4 years....and that was because someone stepped on a flowering weed he was feeding on.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
DrWatson, there is a chair behind the dust collector. I have added more tools since this picture. I just wanted to show that there is only one small path between tools, so there is only one escape route.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bumble bees are fine pollinating insects that do good work ... just not down my shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.