PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

byoush

Lurker
Jan 9, 2016
Hey guys,
Extremely new to the forum and just started smoking pipes. I recently bought a pipe that has a 9mm filter. I have decided I don't want to use the filter. Can I just take it out and continue to use the pipe with no problems?
Thanks in advance!!
Welcome to the Forum! Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles.

Thank you Robert.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Welcome byoush to the forum. Short answer is yes. You can also get an adapter to take the place of the filter. Certainly don't need an adapter though. Happy puffing.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I don't use filters in any of my pipes, including the cobs. Just don't like them. An adaptor is a good idea but if the open draw doesn't bother you then you're good to go.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
Yes - Savinellis come with an adapter if you choose not to use the filter.
Cobs unfortunately don't - they come with medico filters and the opening is rather wide. As guyrox said, a wide opening can lead to an unpleasant smoke - so sip very slowly :)

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Depends on how you smoke. I've burned my tongue with a cob before because the open draw let the pipe get way too hot without a filter. But if you pay attention to what you're doing and "sip," as r says, I think you could make it work. Though my only experience is with cobs, and briars may be more prone to juicing up as guyrox mentioned.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
I say go for it. Worst thing that's gonna happen is the pipe won't smoke well and you will have to get an adapter or go back to the filters.
MM filtered cobs, I always pull the filters out and toss em. My Savinelli with a 6mm filter, I use an adapter so I can smoke it without a filter. The adapter came with it, never tried it without the adapter or a filter installed. Maybe I will give it a go and see what happens.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here are just a few more specifics. Many folks smoke filter pipes without filters with great pleasure, no problem. Try it. My complaint is that with many pipes you get this very wide airway that has some architecture in there designed to accept the filter, so it is not only wide but the air passage is at least slightly turbulent, so it's not the smoothest draw. The net effect is to really air out the tobacco flavor quite a bit, and not always to my liking. I have mostly gone with adaptors, in my case for 6 mm filter pipes like Savinelli and Dr. Grabow, and they work fine, focus the flavor a little better to my taste and cause no trouble, and allow a pipe cleaner to pass. Some pipes need this more than others, but I prefer it on any of my pipes that take a 6 mm filter. Same with 9 mm though I don't own any, I think. When possible, I buy pipes without filters. I maintain one filter cob, with a filter, to tame a strong blend if I don't want the full strength smoke, but I rarely use it. So, I hope all this chatter is useful, or at least interesting. Filters are one of the most annoying aspects of the hobby for new pipe smokers, I think, because the information isn't put out in one place with much clarity -- you just have to trip over it as you go. Now I think you have the info you need. Welcome aboard and happy smoking.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
It's not a problem. I have a 9 mm Svenborg which I have never smoked with a filter in it. However, the draw is open and I feel the leaf might burn a little faster as a result.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Come to think of it, my Vauen is a filter pipe (9mm, probably?). I've just never owned an adapter or filters since I bought it used. And it's never bothered me, as evidenced by the fact that I completely forgot about it until now.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
It is a 9mm. Checked the tennon, the filter chamber is huge. Again, I've never had a problem with that pipe, and it's one of my go-to smokers, especially since it's the pipe I carry with me the most after my little Dr. Grabow.

And another. Just checked the tennon on my Stanwell Sixtus, and it is also a 9mm filter pipe. I should really pay more attention when I'm cleaning my pipes. Anyway, that is my absolute favorite and best-smoking pipe, so I guess I'm thoroughly in the "yes" camp.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Filters are like condoms: there's lots of good reasons for them, but they ruin all the real fun.
They're the Communism of the pipe world.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I've always pulled the 9mm filters out of new Brebbias and cobs, and have never given a second thought about it. I didn't even know that there were 9mm adapters. So, now I have this 'new' information to OCD about -- because, I was thinking about ordering some Savinelli (9mm) pipes in the next few months. In the past, I've purchased only two pipes from Savinelli, and they were both from the Autograph series, so I've never dealt with the filter nonsense.
... but now I have this new issues, that I didn't know was an issue, which makes it twice the issue. [sigh] What an issue.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
If you haven't changed out the filter, that is already a problem making for a bad smoke. They don't last long. One big bowl could clog it up if the tobacco is, say, an aromatic. If you only got one filter with the pipe, try getting some and see if that improves your experience.

Check to make sure your filtered pipe didn't come with an adapter -- that would be a small black plastic piece replacing the filter (check the links below). It might not have, but the adapter would be easy to miss in the packaging.

The adapter is pretty important, as others have said. You pretty much need one if you don't have a filter inserted. It is a step-down device -- 9mm on one end, fitting where the filter goes; then there is a narrow end that makes your pipe a non-filtered model tightening the draw/flow.

The adapters are readily available online and are inexpensive.

Get one and you can now go and back and forth to see what it's like: with or without.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-filters/79700/9mm-to-3mm-pipe-filter/#p-137756

http://www.cupojoes.com/9mm-to-non-filter-adapter/

http://www.tobaccopipes.com/vauen-9mm-adapter/

Mar 1, 2014
Most of my pipes are 9mm filter pipes, but I just about never use a "filter".

I'll stick some pipe cleaner in there to catch bits of tobacco while I'm smoking, but lately I've been filling the bottom of the bowl with carbon pellets (intended for fish tanks) and that does a decent job (and stops dottle from sticking to the bottom of the bowl).

Mar 1, 2014
I will note that the shape of the draft hole entrance in the stem still has a subtle effect on the feel of the draw, but that applies universally to all pipes, 9mm pipes just have an extra large tenon space, really no different from any Army Mount or Reverse Calabash.

And on at least a few of my pipes the adapter does not line up with the draft hole in the shank, I'm betting that would be as much cause for concern as anything if you're worried about turbulence.

If nothing else the adapter is just anothing thing to clean after you're done. I wouldn't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.