Can I leave Blackwoods in its tin or should I jar it too?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'm of two minds on this. Partly because of my persistent mental illness issues, but here's my thought: Either dry the entire tin out to proper smoking moisture level, then jar it OR jar it as-is and dry just what you'll be smoking right then and there.
It's nice to have a blend ready to smoke, when you want it, without having to dry it more. That's one of the great things about Russ O.'s blends: they generally come at the correct moisture level for smoking. But if you don't plan on consuming the blend anytime soon, it will age better with more moisture in it. When I cellar D&R blends, for instance, I moisten them a bit with a few spritz' of distilled water (because distilled water is chlorine-free and is most likely fairly clean).

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
I leave mine in the tin about two weeks, then I jar it.
Something about that two week period let's it re-oxygenate (or something) and it is great!

Oct 7, 2016
Are you talking about a tin you have already opened? If so,I would suppose if you aren't going to consume it fairly soon, you might jar some of it. I usually just stick my open tins in a zip lock, but once a tin gets opened, I tend to smoke it in 2-4 weeks.
I see no reason to open a tin and jar the whole thing just for cellaring purposes. Blackwood's does great in the can Mike McNeil​ put it in.
Is the company that makes Mason jars publicly traded?

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
I wasn't talking about cellaring it. For cellaring, leaving it alone in the sealed tin.

When you smoke it, let it rest in the open tin (do use the plastic lid) for a couple weeks before seriously smoking it.

Have a bowl or two for reference right when you open it, then let it rest. It is okay to open it and smell that delicious tobacco every once and a while! It really opens up the flavors during that resting period. THEN smoke it all in a couple of weeks.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I jar it, but with flakes, first I prep it to smoke. I cut across the grain with scissors about half inch lengths, and put the whole tin worth, through my tobacco dedicated food processor. It's a smallish one but not super cheap, so it has some power to cut, and a good blade. I buy the Kerr 8 oz. jars, (Walmart) by the dozen, and store them in the case they come in, so they are stackable.

Oct 7, 2016
I still want to know if I can buy stock in the company that makes Mason jars
I have kept open tins of McClellands using the plastic top and placing them in a zip lock for at least as long as 3 months and it is fine to me. I usually have to give their flakes a little drying time before smoking them when I first open the tin, not so much as time passes. I just last week finished off a tin of Dark Star that had been opened before Christmas and the moisture content was perfect for my tastes. YMMV
Jars are cheap, zip locks are cheaper. I am intrigued by the Mylar bags that woodsroad and others have been using, which I guess are somewhere in the middle cost wise.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I left a bit in the tin on my last delivery, and jarred the remainder. I didn't notice a change in aroma or moisture content between the jar and the covered tin in the approx 6 weeks it lasted.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Geezer I will keep using my eight dozen, 8 oz. jars for years because it takes a while to smoke from all of them. I don't use them to cellar. Then there's the three dozen pint jars that I smoke from a little more often, and then there's the eight dozen quart jars I use to cellar. :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Among the most common U.S. brands of Mason jars are Ball, Kerr, and Golden Harvest. Jarden Corporation, based in Boca Raton, Florida, retains the license to use the Ball and Kerr registered trademarks on home-canning products as a part of its branded consumables business.
On December 14, 2015, Newell Rubbermaid announced that it would acquire Jarden for over $15 billion of cash and stock. The combined company is known as Newell Brands, with 55% owned by Newell's shareholders.
The above from Wikipedia, but not entirely clear if there is a "Mason Jar" company per se. Kinda doubt it.

Oct 7, 2016
Sounds like I am too late, Newell Rubbermaid beat me to the punch. Need to find something else to do with my extra $15 billion. But thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.