Can I have English friends bring tobacco to the US for me?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I will see a couple of good friends at a conference this summer. They live in England. Can they legally bring me a pound or two of some tobaccos I can't get here in the states?

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Not without paying duty. If they declare it. Not sure what the threshold is for paying tax nowadays , but I would imagine it's significantly less than a pound.
That said, between you, me, and the NSA, my (imaginary) experience with customs is that your friends are unlikely to be caught " smuggling" tobacco. Hypothetically, I may have brought plenty of tobacco back from overseas trips with no problems.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
Interesting, customs has it noted that can bring 100 cigars or 200 cigarettes in, but if loose or pipe tobacco you have to contact the port of entry directly.
Customs help

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Do our friends enjoy a good brisk strip search and the rubber glove treatment...if yes than by all means have them bring as much as you want!! :rofl:
On a more serious note. Best to check with customs and see what the regulations state. Probably some limits and taxes/duties in place.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How many friends are arriving? If it's not too inconvenient, you could determine what the permissible limit is, then have them divide up the amount so they are each within the limit, since arriving passengers are evaluated one at a time. I think sealed tins would cause less hassle than loose tobacco. The bigger the quantity, the more attention it will get. If you get into paying duty, it wouldn't be worth the effort.

matches

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2015
Dunedin, NZ
Having a quick look at us customs pages. There's quite a discrepancy between residents entering the US and non-residents. Residents it says "a reasonable amount of tobacco" non-residents says 4.4lbs ie 2 kgs.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Thanks for the links, all!
I did get in touch with the port of entry directly and they weren't too specific...which concerns me. My first inquiry was replied to with merely a link to the exact webpage I had reference stating 'contact port of entry for pipe/loose tobacco'. I inquired again and directly referenced this in my second email and the reply was 'it basically falls under the 200 cigarette rule.' What do you think this means? Seems rather cryptic to me. Anyways, I'm not looking to import a lot of it, no where near the 2Kg Matches says is legal. I'm just looking for some pouches of blends like Condor, St. Bruno, Clan and Revor Plug. Maybe 8 oz total. That way, if it gets confiscated by some overly eager official I won't be out too much.
Thanks for all the replies!

oakbear

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2011
UK
For a amount as small as 8oz i'd just ship it. I've sent packages to the US before and ever had a issue.

I feel sure the 8oz would be fine, especially between several people.

I also know people who have take a LOT of tobacco back to the US, and just walked through. Customs seem very relaxed coming from the UK as tobacco here costs a lot more and there are no major illicit substance issues.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I've got a friend flying through Heathrow next weekend! We'll see what she can find for me at terminal 5 duty free.

Status
Not open for further replies.