PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I don't lose tampers as a rule but I do have a plethora to chose from. Because I have sub group 1 size pipes up to largish group 4 size I have tampers that fir every need.
Many were gifts, some accompanied the pipe as part of the set. There's everything here you could imagine, golf tee's, wooden rods, Czech tool, a Dunhill White Spot, a Silver one branded Tiffany, one from stone, Morta and brass and my every day carry by Languiole, if I get stuck w/o a tamper it's my own fault but I have dried grape vine cuttings out in my yard for that reason.

banjo
36030365944_a76a8a314b_k_d.jpg

Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've amassed a pile of them myself, from custom shell and casing ones, to gemstone, sterling silver, briar, the laguiole knife, and several others. Most of the time in recent years, my finger has been the most used. :mrgreen:

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I have maybe a dozen almost all of which are Peterson branded and shaped like a little pipe. There is always one on my desk and another in my pocket.
Mike

Jun 27, 2016
You have some nice ones there, banjo. I see probably around ten in there that I would add to my watch list if I saw them on ebay. I'm curious about the top-left one. I was looking at one like that on ebay recently, but could not figure out if it was solid or rolled silver because I didn't know what to make of the stamps.
The item has sold, but here is a link if you want to look at what I was looking at. Is yours stamped the same way?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Victorian-Antique-Sterling-Silver-Repouse-Pipe-Spoon-Tamper-Folding-Tools-/272810034966?hash=item3f84bec716%3Ag%3ArXMAAOSwE8NZllva&nma=true&si=ItT1jdQSuPx73mH6Ays0WbstQ%252Bw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
:puffpipe:

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Mine is stamped a lot cleaner it states STERLING-H the Arm and Hammer logo facing right then the 70 all equally spaced and there's no doubt of what mine is made from even the workmanship on the back of the spoon is cleaner looking.

banjo

Jun 27, 2016
I see, STERLING - H. I could not make out what the dash or the H was from the auction pics. I'm still not sure what "STERLING-H" signifies, or if the -H has something to do with the silver or the maker, but I will try to Google it. The arm & hammer logo might mean that it came from the New York area. There's also an "H" inside of the arm & hammer. I also wasn't sure if it says "70" or "10". So I was thinking that it could have been solid 70% silver, or 10 microns of plating/fill. I have a different one that is stamped "Sterling-20", which I'm pretty sure is 20 microns of sterling fill over probably brass.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
If I get my air compressor and engraver moved and found, I should engrave a few tampers just for fun.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
fish', the one lack you've got is the plain old fashioned pipe nail, tamper on one end, scoop on the other, $1.19 or less. I just love these things for their simplicity. I have Czech tools and a nice folding tamper/pick/scoop, but I just dig the pipe nail. But you have an admirable collection.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I enjoy using twigs when smoking outdoors. Indoors there never seems to be a tamper around when I need it - unless I'm smoking in the lounge seat. Bottom of a Bic pen or more often than not, my index finger are my stand byes. Nice collection, Banjo.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Just imagine the post above was a photo of a 9mm round.
There ya go.
:::sigh:::

Jun 27, 2016
mso489

...the plain old fashioned pipe nail...
Yep, I like those, too. Effective, and cheap, so no big deal if you lose it. :puffy:
Oh, does anyone know what STERLING - H means? I searched and came across it on a few other random sterling items, but no explanation. Some were stamped STERLING- HANDMADE, so I am wondering if the H is short for handmade, or if it means something different.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pipe nail...no big deal if you lose it, so of course in the irony of life, you never ever do.

Status
Not open for further replies.