Can Anyone Recommend Some Lakeland Blends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
So in my ever expansive quest to stock up before the tobacco apocalypse, I have decided to get my feet wet with some "Lakeland" style blends. Tried them once when I first took up the pipe, couldn't appreciate the flavors or the aromas. I specifically have my eye on Sam Gawiths Kendal Cream Flake and G&H Ennerdale Flake. Anyone have any experience with those? I also know that 1792 is pretty popular and I also had my eye on some Bracken Flake even though I dont hear too much about that one. What Lakelands do you like and why?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
1792 is a powerful smoke. Quality leaf laced with tonquin beean essence. I happen to love the stuff but there's no middle ground with this one. It's love or hate. I would say that every pipe smoker should experience 1792 at least once. I recommend sitting while smoking it.

Another fave of mine is Grousemoor. The complete opposite of 1792. Many descibe it's aroma as lemon grass and ,I guess, I agree. It is a ribbon cut as opposed to 1792's flake. Grousemoor needs to be sipped to get the best from it.

That's my 2 pence. Good luck in your quest.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I've got unoppened tins of Grousemoor and Ennerdale, but haven't tried them. 1792 is a wallop, but I like it in small doses. I've had Bob's Chocolate Flake that didn't have any Lakeland essence flavor, but many claim it can vary from batch to batch. I've also enjoyed H&H Lakeland Brickle, but that almost reminds me of carraway seed and rye bread. My absolute favorite though is Condor. I can't get enough of the stuff!!!

Jul 15, 2011
What about Gawith and Hoggarth Rum Flake? Anyone tried that one? The shopping cart Im putting together over at SP.com includes tin of Bobs Chocolate Flake and Ennerdale Flake, but I might try the Rum Flake if anyone can change my mind. I do loves me a good rum flavored tobacco.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I'm familiar with most of the Lakelands at this point. Traditionally a Balkan and burley smoker, I discovered the Lakelands about three years and have fallen in love with the style, especially G&H's awesome line of products. I could never again smoke an SG blend and be totally happy, but I don't know what I'd do if GH closed their doors!
Anyhow...
1792 is an extremely intense smoke, both in terms of flavor and nicotine. It's one of only three tobaccos that are too strong for me to smoke regularly (Dark Flake and Coniston Cut Plug being the other two). It makes other heavy hitters like Irish Flake, Nightcap and Old Joe Krantz seem like wimps (and I LOVE high octane blends, normally). The main flavor note is tonquin, which I would describe as a kind of dirty vanilla. I don't like 1792 all that much, but don't let that deter you. A lot of guys swear by it, so it's definitely one you need to try.
Ennerdale. Ah, Ennerdale.... now this is one of my very favorite blends, a "desert island" smoke for sure. It's a mid/medium VA flake that is heavily sauced by Lakeland flavorings. A lot of guys describe it as being soapy or like perfume, which is fair if I think misleading. What GH has done is apply traditional British floral essences to the tobacco, which means lots of stuff like rose, lavender, etc. in addition to almond, which is also one of the primary flavors here. It's not as weird as it sounds, and the end result is delicious. It will, however, ghost your briars like nothing you've ever seen before. Fair warning!
I would recommend a few others to you, as well.
Bosun Cut Plug: This one isn't as strongly flavored, and the Virginias are a bit darker and deeper than in Ennerdale. In addition to the floral components, there is some clove in here, too. It's not as powerful as, say, 1792 but is nonetheless a very full blend, so show it respect or you'll end up sick from the nicotine.
Kendal Flake: This is another one of my favorites (as you can tell, I have a lot of Lakeland "favorites" LOL). This is probably the most floral of all of GH's offerings. The main flavor, I think, is rose and it reminds me of nothing so much as Indian rice pudding. The underlying VA leaf is beautiful, as well, with more complexity than you'd expect.
Believe it or not, you CAN actually taste the VAs in these blends after they've burned down a bit.
As an aside: A lot of guys are weirded out by the range of flavors used in the Lakelands, but think of it this way: We Americans tend to associate floral tastes and aromas with soap and fruit flavors with candies and desserts. That's why our aromatics are flavored with vanilla, chocolate, berry, etc. But in Britain (and other European nations) for a very long time most of your desserts and candies were flavored with things like rose hips and geranium. So, naturally, traditional British aromatics contain these types of flavors. I think that's why so many smokers describe them as tasting like perfume or soap -- that's the only place they've encountered these flavors before, so it kind of turns them off. But I think if you're willing to keep an open mind and give them a fair chance, there's a good chance you'll end up with some new favorites.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I think everyone should try 1792 once. doctorthoss puts it right when he describes it as a dirty vanilla, but it is a magnificent flavor. Just be careful with it, and make sure you smoke it in a small bowl the first time. It is the strongest pipe tobacco I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. It can easily turn you green or make the room spin. 1792 should have one of those warning labels on it that says you shouldn't operate a car or heavy machinery until after you know how it hits you.

Jul 12, 2011
SG blends I would stock up on; Also have a pipe set aside

for Lakeland blends cause the ghost has teeth :)

Bracken

KC

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah, good thing a few people have mentioned ghosts. I dedicate all my pipes to one of four broad categories, Aromatic, English, Va/VaPer and Lakeland.

Jul 15, 2011
Its funny that everyone mentions the ghosting problem of Lakelands because I have been sitting on a rather nice Comoys billiard for the last year now. I went to go smoke some 1Q in it one day and the freaking thing REEKED of Lakeland and that was the only thing I could taste. A dozen bowls of MacBaren Golden Extra and three more alcohol cleanings later and I could still only taste Lakeland. I guess if I try out some Lakelands I will FINALLY have an excuse to smoke that Comoys. Ive got a GBD that doesnt get much love either, and that might become a Lakeland pipe too.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Full disclosure: I love Lakeland style blends, so I am biased... Here's a fw that haven't been mentioned:
G&H Rum Twist - Comes as a rope and is SUPER strong and moist! Granted, I'm a Vitamin-N lightweight, so take that with a grain of salt...
H&H Lakeland Brickle Fortissimo - This blend from Russ O. is great! I love the floral notes in this.
Peterson Hyde Park - First time I tried it, I was so confused. When I ordered it, I thought I had ordered Nutty Cut. It has some serious florals going on and smokes well with some drying out.
SG Firedance Flake - This is another love/hate one. Personally, I like the almost berry flavor, but many don't.
Those are off the top of my head.
-Jason

Jul 15, 2011
OK, so based on the recommendations of my fellow brothers and some research that I have done, I threw these tins into my latest order:
G&H Ennerdale
Sam Gawith Kendal Cream
Sam Gawith Bracken Flake
This on top of a half a pound of Full Virginia Flake. Im thinking Ill pop the Ennerdale and the Bracken Flake and save the Kendal Cream for a little while. I also asked smokingpipes.com if they could throw in a sample of G&H Glenngarry Flake (fingers crossed). Thanks to everyone for the recommendations.

Jul 12, 2011
@PN--I have gone through pounds of Bracken, good call!
I have some creep'in up on 3 yrs, gonna snap open a tin

sooner than later...you will not be let down with her

Jul 15, 2011
I read that Bracken is generally regarded as a less intense, little more tame but equally polarized version of 1792. Figured maybe that would be a good way to wet my feet and figure out if I want to upgrade to 1792 at some point. Now I also have to start figuring out pipes that will be dedicated to Lakeland blends.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
I'm having a bowl of 1792 right now. It's my first bowl of the day and it's been about nine hours since a light lunch.
It's potent, but not a great deal more so than some of the other heavy-hitters. Sip and enjoy...

Status
Not open for further replies.