PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
My wonderful wife is about to travel for work and will be staying just around the corner from a B&M in downtown Toronto where she is happy to go and pick up a few tins of tobacco that I cannot find here in British Columbia. Last trip I scored Samuel Gawith's Squadron Leader and Skiff Mixture.
I have a fuzzy picture of what is in the store and have had a great time trying to figure out what everything is. This tin stumped me (black one in the middle). Does anyone know what it might be?

I have my want list down to around 8 tins but need to whittle that down to two or three if I actually want to see anything turn up here.
The eight are
Solani Aged Burley Flake

Samuel Gawaih Full Virginia Flake

SG Best Brown Flake

Presbyterian Mixture

Ashton Artisan's Blend

Dunhill Mixture 965

Dunhill Durbar

Prince Albert (this stuff intrigues me for some reason)
If you have to pick just 2 (or 3) which would it be? why?

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Thanks hunter. I thought someone with myopia could cancel out the fuzz and get a clear image?... that or they just know the tin shape colour etc.

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
I would not pick Prince Albert. Out of the blends that resemble it, I would choose Carter Hall over it. haha. But that's just me. As for the other blends... I've never had anything by Sammy G that I did not like, so I would choose either one of the two that you listed (I'd probably go with the best brown). Next would probably be the Dunhill 965. I've never had it, but I have only ever heard great things about it.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
It sounds like a fun game to play, similar to those game where people try to be the first person to correctly identify a song --- but this one with a blurred tobacco tin.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd go for the 965 and, believe it or not, the Prince Albert. The 965 because it is an elegant, balanced classic English blend. The Prince Albert because it is a grand old burley that stays lit and smokes mild. The others all sound good, but I haven't tried them, so I'd recommend what I know. I just ordered a smokingpipes.com selection of HH Mac Baren dark fired blends, five tins -- two ribbon cut and three flake blends -- and a sample pouch of Modern Virginia for forty one bucks including shipping and tax; I'm fascinated with dark fired as a new flavoring component in various blends.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
And my lovely wife returned with

I am looking forward to trying all three but I think the Aged Burley Flake will be the first to get opened as I have never tried anything like that.
I did not managed to learn what the mystery tin was... sometimes things are just meant to stay a mystery

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
All good, but I think the Ashton was the sleeper blend on your list. Go for it next time, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how good it is.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Ouch.... those Canadian prices! :twisted:

I fear we're not far from them here in the USA.

You will enjoy those, a great Lat, a great VA, and a superb Burley!! Enjoy!

+1 Trout-- Artisan's Blend is good stuff, as well as the new Durbar............ :puffy:

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
They were out of Artisan Blend. It was the top of my wish list. I can get it locally here in BC but would have to pay an extra $14 for the tin! Glad to hear good things about it as I just might have to do get it.
Beefeater: These are Ontario prices which are better than many other parts of the country. It is less than a cup of coffee for a bowl so I am not about to complain as long as I can still buy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.