PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lionpipe122

Lurker
Sep 17, 2016
We were cleaning out the house and found this in our attic.its a wooden pipe with a plastic black tip and a 14k gold cap with a lion on top of it. I know absolutely nothing about pipes so any help is appreciated.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
the info on this link will help posting photos

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/picture-posting-help#post-751534

mrwestminster

Lurker
Sep 12, 2016
I am eagerly anticipating this photo, that pipe sounds like a great find. (Sorry, lionpipe122. I know this is of little help).

unclescot

Lurker
Sep 12, 2016
Okay. I had this down once ad forgot it. Let me try deathmetal's instructions and see if they work.
sJrojg

This is an eBay "find" for $18.50. Did I find something valuable, or just a great smoke? Because it is the best of my little collection so far. Gives me a long, cool smoke with no bite and billows of smoke. R/ight to the top of my meager rotation. No maker's mark, so I assume it's an amateur attempt (notice the digs and flaws).
Any thoughts?
(Right-click the link and open in a new tab. It's an album.)

unclescot

Lurker
Sep 12, 2016
If you double-tap (on a Mac trackpad) on the icon and "Open Page In New Tab," you can get the gallery on a different tab.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No stamp and unusual carving, I'd guess this was handmade, probably by an amateur with some wood carving skills. Nice pipe.

unclescot

Lurker
Sep 12, 2016
Speaking of new pipes and posts coming through...
An eBay win for one of many Chinese artisan--not factory!--just now appearing. I missed one near $80, but got this at the low price of $26. No intention to smoke it. Goesright on the shelf and gets dusted regularly. I am betting these go up in value.
Let me try the images. Again, if they don't show up, double-tap on the Mac trackpad and select "Open in new tab."
https://sli.mg/a/fTiBty

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"No intention to smoke it."
Why on earth buy a pipe yet have no intention of smoking it? It was presumably made to be smoked so go ahead and fire it up and let everyone know how well (or not as the case may be) it smokes.
I would be curious as to what wood it is made from as it doesn't look like briar to me.
Regards,
Jay.

unclescot

Lurker
Sep 12, 2016
Jay, because it may be practical, but it's also a work of craftsmanship and art. I would no more ruin it by scorching it than I would "improving" the Mona Lisa by adding mascara. It's a beautiful thing to me on its own, and I believe it has a place on my shelves with the books, the jade dragon, the carved iron Tibetan basket, and the other pipes I've taken out of circulation as I've gotten these beautiful two to replace them. I have now an already-smoked Ben Wade lovely some-other-wood-that-isn't-briar, perhaps walnut; it's a smooth Dublin with rusticated peaks (there's another word not coming to me), and I don't mind smoking it because it's already been smoked. The Golden Danish, which will sit on the shelf, will enter the rotation once in a while because it's also been smoked. I got a rustic, carved giant with a rusticated top; it's rustic under the top because it was carved by someone not at the top of his skills. It's been smoked in so I don't mind using it. The last estate pipe I got is supposed to be Danish, again with amateur carving and rusticated top and mortise, missing a stem, but it smells almost new. If I can find a stem that fits it, it'll go into the rotation. There's also a set of 6 Jimmy Ropps in my cabinet; one went in a pay it forward thread, and one is in my rotation. (It smokes like a reed of straw, so it doesn't get much use.)
But that Jack Su looks to be a gorgeous artisanal work, and if it's any less, I'll smoke it; otherwise, I'll hang onto it in case the value on them improves.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
It never ceases to amaze me the amount of folks who just buy pipes purely as ornaments to 'display' in a cabinet or whatever and have no intention of smoking.
To me a pipe is nothing more than a smoke and nicotine delivery device...nothing more. If you were say a mechanic would you display a set of spanners or wrenches in a cabinet?
Yes, some pipes do look very artful in their design but they were designed for smoking. The only pipes I own that I have no intention of smoking is an unsmoked seven day cased set from 1967 that I bought purely as an investment...and they live somewhere at the bottom of my wardrobe, I would never dream of putting them on 'display' because they are just pipes but of course, to each his/her own :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.