PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
So I go into the J. Fox store in London and they have a sampling lounge upstairs. However, the only smoking allowed inside is for when they have roll your own cigar classes. Later on I was struck with the thought: "how is smoking a roll your own cigar inside the shop different than packing your own pipe and smoking it inside.?
I may have to go back and ask. Not being able to smoke in a tobacco store is criminal :?

Aug 1, 2012
I prefer Wild West Law myself.
Even that ain't what it used to be. Darn kids and their darn newfangled laws. Like how Colorado bans smoking in businesses but I've had a couple nice smokes in a B&M there...won't name them just in case.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
Health Act 2006 bans all smoking indoor public places excluding some specific places such as special Tobacconists, which include Pipe and Cigar. I know from personal experiences that you are aloud to smoke either a pipe and a cigar indoors Davidoff of London. My guess is that J.Fox could have their own rule, or perhaps a lack of license which they have refused to pay for. You have to bare in mind that much of this is following precedence from Brussels.
When the Politicians have to go outside to smoke, then you know its really bad (and there were proposals to not follow the smoking ban in several Westminster bars, though they did in the end).
If you want to smoke inside, in Europe, the United Kingdom isn't the place. Go to Germany or Austria, you can smoke in the warm, dry conditions with a good beer by your side.

redstar

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2014
I was told by a JJ Fox employee (who I was surprised to see smoking a cigar behind the counter) that the law allowed you to smoke a hand made cigar in the premises in which it was purchased.
Good to know, but completely bonkers.
The smoking ban in the UK was a travesty - a compromise should have been struck, to allow certain exceptions, which would have been the British think to do.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Lots of sources say tobacco shops are allowed to let customers sample products, but I can't actually find anything to that effect in law, only some vague unhelpful clauses in the Health Act 2006 3.1.
I would imagine it's more to do with the shops themselves, as the law's very murky on it, so a lot of store owners might not allow it in fear of running foul of the law.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The smoking ban was one of the last Labour Governments stupidest ideas. The being said I can see the logic behind it. By banning smoking the average Joe Q Lunchbox doesn't feel inclined to go to the pub when he can buy cheap beer from Sainsbury's and sit in his armchair at home interacting with the 'globalist' menu puked out of his TV every night. Much safer having him watch Big Brother than interacting with his fellow man and disagreeing with the official view point! But then again I might be paranoid!

frankenstein

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2013
condorlover1: I like the way you think. Politicians fear that people will interact without their control.

moonman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2014
Guess I am still fortunate here in Arkansas to some degree. Although we have smoking laws in public buildings, you can still go to your tobacconist and sample tobacco or huddle around the group table with your friends and engage in conversations and discussions while smoking.
Smoking is also allowing in our VFW's. But the downside to that is you must be over 21 to enter the VFW. Its a double edged sword. Its nice to smoke while sitting at the bar enjoying your favorite beverage but being a member and always trying to recruit new young veteran members its difficult.
Lets face it, a lot of younger people do not want to go to dances or functions where the is smoke in the room. Also a lot of younger veterans do not smoke and don't want to be there. Just my opinion.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I guess I am pretty lucky here in Albuquerque. We can smoke in every pipe and cigar shop and we still have a few bars that you are allowed to smoke in. I will be in Scotland in a few months and I am curious to see what the pipe world is like out there. I know everything is outrageously expensive and your are limited to where you can smoke and how much tobacco you can bring in to the country and or take out of the country. Looking forward to figuring it all out!

Status
Not open for further replies.