Can anyone describe the 9mm pipe experience?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Most 9mm pipes have an adapter that you can put in to reduce hole size for smoking without the filter.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have 9mm Winslow pipes that I smoke without filter or adapter and they smoke just fine. I personally would never use a filter on a pipe, just a thing I have, I know some people like them.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
If you like a wide open draw, you will probably not like the 9mm filters. They restrict the draw more than any of the other types of filters. If you don't mind the constricted draw, then they are no better or worse than any of the other filters. Many smokers do not like to have to constantly deal with the filters. It gets tiresome.
I have a Design Berlin pipe which came with an adapter. I have never used a filter with it. I recently found 9mm adapters for my Vauen pipe at TobaccoPipes.com.
I only use the filters for a couple of blends that would be otherwise to strong or harsh for my tastes.

pipedreamer

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2012
9mm pipes give you many options.They are great for new pipe smokers, get rid of gurgling ,or too much moisture which is the main culprit for pipe tongue and burn.tone down harsh blends. Make cheap tobacco passable.Take very little taste away, if any.Give you choices i.e.:Paper , charcoal, meerschaum, paper and charcoal, or an adapter which gives you the non filtered pipe that many feel is the holy grail. Most pipes come in 9mm,But you might have to shop over seas. Many stores here are starting to carry 9mm,BECAUSE,They are becoming popular. People will tell you that filter pipes are cheap pipes. THEY ARE WRONG. Most of the best pipes can be had in 9mm. I like both the 9mm and good quality straight pipes.They both have their place, as do 6mm pipes Also and I know this will start a fur fight,But if you get a good deal on a straight and have a lot of problems,you can have it converted to 9mm and if not possible due to a small shank,You can still filter it with 3mm filters. Yes! There are 3mm filters available.No matter what you decide You Will have to learn proper technique etc. and this is the place to learn and ask. You are among many Great Pipe smokers that will help you along. Good luck. P.D.

Reactions: crazyhog

pipedreamer

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2012
Oh Yes. You can also use the wood balsa filters from Savinelli. They are an ADsorptive filter. GOOD LUCK.

Status
Not open for further replies.