PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Generally speaking, if a pipe can accommodate a 9mm filter, just it? Or just smoke it without the filter? But 9mm seems like a bigger hole than most non-filter pipes have in the stem. Or can an adapter like the 9mm adapter by Vauen be used? Thanks!
To add to my questions, I did see in a review on Amazon that one user said it worked very well in his Peterson while another said it was too short for his pipe (whatever kind it was). If it were to prove too long, could it be cut and adapted?

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I recommend getting the Vauen adapter if you do not wish to use the filter. I smoke Virginias in a filter pipe, because I get the most flavor, and the filter gets the ashen taste out of the smoke for me. I wouldnt smoke a Balkan or aromatic with a filter.

Smoking it without an adapter will have you pulling harder, and may make the bowl extremely hot.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Also, smoking without the filter creates turbulence (the Venturi Effect) and moisture will deposit in the spot where the filter would go.
Russ

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A footnote when buying pipes, I learned on forums that the advantage of the 6mm filter is that the Dr. Grabow, Medico, and

Savenelli balsa wedge filters (and home made versions of those balsa filters) are all interchangeable, so you can suit yourself

by preference. Some like to use the paper filters cut in half to minimize the inhibited draw. Many pipes will smoke well

with no filter, and without an adaptor. So though 9 mm filters are the standard item in Europe and in a number of pipes,

there are advantages to the 6 mm filters, if you choose a filter pipe at all. I have one Dr. Grabow with a filter, and two MM

cobs with a filter. All the rest are non-filtered (about forty pipes).

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Agree with everyone. As is often the case, Roth is correct though, in my experience. Smoking without the filter creates a condensation trap and makes for a wet smoke. At least it does in one of my straight billiards. In all honesty, I just deal with it. But, if you can get an adaptor, or make one, then I would do so.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have owned a few Winslow pipes that were 9 mm and I never used a filter or adapter and loved the way they smoked. The all smoked cool and dry and they were some of the best smoking pipes I ever encountered. I also had a couple of the 6mm Savs and smoked them the same way and they also smoked great.

Dec 24, 2012
I have a Peterson House pipe I bought in Dublin that takes a 9mm filter. I only ever use filters when I smoke aromatics. When I smoke the pipe without filter, though, I always get a pleasant dry and cool smoke with no gurgle. I have attributed this to the large chamber acting almost like a reverse calabash, but no idea whether this is right.

str8musicman

Lurker
Sep 3, 2013
Los Angeles
I have a couple filter pipes, such as a Vauen 827 and a couple Petes, but I never use the filter. From what I gather many people talk about using filters for the moister etc. I just feel that if you are using the filter to combat the moister, it doesn't mean it disappears, just stays trapped in that filter which could lead to souring your stem. That is unless you take out the filter after each smoke. It may sound basic but maybe the issue is not letting the tobacco dry out before you load your pipe. I have not had any issues with moister in my filterless filter pipes,all I do is make sure my tobacco sits on top of the tin for a few minutes before I load it,and make sure I pull the stem and clean it up good after each use. I do notice more build up can occur in those empty filter chambers,but as long as you stay on top of the maintenance you'll be good to go. I hope this helps a little,and that I didn't stray to far of point.

Aug 1, 2012
I always stick with the filter adapter. It seems to make it just smoke a bit better. Not sure exactly how to explain it...just better.

str8musicman

Lurker
Sep 3, 2013
Los Angeles
Gerritjan I've heard that also about aromatics, just a personal preference to ditch the filter. My theory is if the tobacco doesn't taste good without a filter, I'm not gonna smoke it. And Vauen has been quite the successful company due to the filter business. When I bought mine, it just kinda fell in my hands. I'm not a brand chaser or anything. I just like going to a nice pipe shop, pick up several pieces and see how they look and feel. Of course I'm aware of which brands are better then others and it does impact my ultimate decision, but I try not to dwell on it and bias myself before I even pick up a pipe. Otherwise I probably would never have bought the Vauen. Even without the filter it is a great smoker. Sorry to get off track but wanted to share that.

Status
Not open for further replies.