Can a Pipes Nomenclature Effect Market Value?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Can a pipes nomenclature decrease their market value? I have this Erik Nording freehand sitter which was apparently made for The Tinder Box. Maybe some Nording pipes which didn't make the final cut went to the Tinder Box instead. Just have to ask these questions. Bought at an unbelievable price even though I had to completely refinish it. She's an excellent smoker!
Nomenclature:
Tinder Box

FREEHAND
Nørding

Made In Denmark

nord1.jpg

Nord2.jpg

Nord9.jpg

Nord10.jpg

Nord13.jpg

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Good morning Durham.
I see nomenclature affect pipe value when it is missing, or illegible. Collectors clearly want crisp, deep, defined and unquestionable pipe and stem marks. When it comes to shop hallmarks, like the Tinder Box mark above, I think that this would have little affect on pricing unless it indicates that this is a Nording second of some sort. It's my understanding that many tobacconists worked out arrangements whereby they purchased lots of pipes from specific manufacturers (sometimes in specific model/type of pipe) with an agreement that they would/could add the store stamp to a pipe. Still other manufacturers produced and stamped their pipes with the name or mark of a specific shop or tobacconist.
Will the "Tinder Box" mark reduce the selling price of the pipe above? Maybe, but to my mind it shouldn't if the pipe is in good nick, with little to no fills, and with an original stem. At that point condition, nomenclature, maker and looks will be what makes someone decide to shell out some cash.
Anyway... one man's opinion.
Have a good one!
-- Pat

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yes, the more pricey the pipe and collectible, the more important the nomenclature becomes to the value. I recently sold a '63 Dunhill on Ebay. The nomenclature was there but weak. It would have brought $75/$100 more with strong stamping.

If you aren't picky about nomenclature, getting one with shop stamps, weak stamping, etc. is a great way to get a great pipe more reasonably priced. I'm in that group myself.

It looks like you did a great job on that one!

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Like rothnh, I too agree with pruss and ssjones ... I don't think there's any doubt that the nomenclature affects the value of a pipe.
and, relative to what ssjones said, the single best smoking pipe I ever owned had no nomenclature stamped on it ... it was a Ben Wade second and I bought it for less than half what I would have had to pay were it not a second. That technical 'flaw' in the grain had NO bearing whatsoever on the smokeability of that pipe.
Same goes for one of the best smoking pipes I have today ... a 'flaw' in the grain took the rug completely out from under the price of the pipe but it smokes like a dream and I can assure you that neither I nor anyone else ever dwells on the presence of that 'flaw' ...

Status
Not open for further replies.