Can A Pipe Be Too Beautiful To Smoke? (PICS)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
My first Radice pipe arrived yesterday. From the pics I knew it would be really cool but when I took her out, I couldn't believe the wood and the silver cap. I don't really know how to care for the silver cap, can it be burned or stained? How do I clean it? I don't want to mess this up. Also last night at the Seattle Pipe Club I picked up a Kirsten pipe. Been wanting one of these for a long time too. Yesterday was a VERY good day.
Radice-1.jpg

Radice-2.jpg

Radice-3.jpg

Radice-4.jpg

Radice-5.jpg

Radice-6.jpg

Radice-7.jpg

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Both great pipes. Light those suckers up. No idea on how to care for either.
IMO, if you are looking to resell a pipe later then leave it unsmoked, for me, I don't buy a pipe unless I am looking to smoke it.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
IMO, if you are looking to resell a pipe later then leave it unsmoked, for me, I don't buy a pipe unless I am looking to smoke it.
Same. I have never purchased a pipe I didnt intend on smoking. I think it will mean more to those that get them when I am long gone. :puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It looks like you had a good day indeed! :clap:

I think the silver rim cap will protect the wood very well, so you can be even more careless than normal. :lol:

Smoke 'em and enjoy 'em. :clap:

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
They are both beautiful! I would rub the silver with a paper towel after every smoke to help keep it from tarnishing. Normally I would suggest toothpaste, but I don't know how that would affect the briar. Avoid silver polish because if you don't get all of it off it can make you sick and it would definately ruin the finish. Those are great !

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
To clean the Kirsten, take it sh it apart. That use a qtip saoked in alcoohal to clean the valve at the front. Use a pie cleaner soaked in alcohol to clean the draft hole in the bowl. Do the same for the stem. Take a small bit of tissue or paper towel, and put alcohol in it. wad it up an put it in the tube part of the stem. Use the ramrod that is on the mouth piece of the stem to push it through. And it is now clean.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Yes, a pipe can be to beautiful to smoke, but I say smoke it anyways. Not sure of the care techniques for the silver cap though. Enjoy the new pipes.
+1
Great looking pipes - the Radice is great. I don't think the silver will need much maintenance. I use a silver polishing cloth for get rid of tarnish on my silver.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Beautiful pipe.
You should be able to take care of your silver rim with this stuff.
http://www.nevrdull.com/index.html
It's just treated cotton in a jar. Very low cost, and available almost everywhere.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Z: wonderful pipes. I'd smoke 'em up.
One trick I use on briars to clean the rim of the bowl is just put a little of my saliva on my finger tip and rub. Most of the charred black comes off. Don't know if that will work with silver rim, however.
I'd be for packing that pipe up and puttin' the match to 'er.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That Radice is great looking and I think you should fire it up right away. I use these to clean the silver bands on my pipes and it works great,Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Original Cleaning Pads. I just rub the silver with one and it looks brand new in seconds.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Two nice looking pipes.
I use a Cape Cod Cloth on my silver mountings. Neverdull sounds similiar.
I think a paper towel can put fine scratches on the silver over time. I would use flannel or a microfiber cloth, instead.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Ya, i was thinking the same thing about the paper towel but that does work well with the briars that I own.

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
I have fought this battle with a few pipes in my collection. I've find that when I pull a pipe I haven't smoked off the rack and give it its maiden smoke I'm glad I decided to finally smoke it but also glad I waited to do so. I know it might seem weird to some people but for me It's waiting for the right moment to smoke that particular pipe. Besides I get the new pipe excitement twice!

Status
Not open for further replies.