PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I just can’t seem to taste aro’s any longer. I started out with aro’s as many have and kept purchasing every scrumptious aro tobacco that sounded good or interesting. Eventually I got a tad bored and wanted to try out some non-aro’s . Not any Latakia blends as I can’t stomach the smell of it much less its taste, but some of the Va’s and VaPer’s . Now keep in mind that I’ve been a cigarette smoker for 50 plus years so that may account for something and maybe I have the taste buds of 40 grit sandpaper when it comes to tobacco. I’ve never been able to detect all of the nuances that some can while smoking any given tobacco, but at first I was able to least detect some notable taste be it pleasant or not with the aro’s
When I delved into the non-aro’s it seemed like a totally new world and I could, for once, actually taste something more discernible and more pleasant, but again, not always enjoyable depending upon the particular tobacco I was trying, but be that as it may. As said, at first the aro’s were pleasant, but nothing to knock my socks off. I only, at this time, smoke about two bowls a day, and sometimes three on rare occasions. To name a few of the non-aro’s which I really enjoy and that I’ve been smoking, although I’m leaving out the ones I’m not all that crazy about are: OGS, PSLBF, Capstan Yellow, Escudo, Wessex BCDF (love it), just to name a few. However, now when I fill a bowl up with i.e., 1-Q, RLP-6, Wilke 191, Boswell’s Christmas Cookie & Berry Cobbler , Molto Dolce, which at first I enjoyed I now feel as though I’m simply blowing out smoke with absolutely NO taste whatsoever! Strange, but I still enjoy Boswell’s Pennsylvania Dutch Treat with it’s very pleasing cherry taste, although it is not touted as a cherry tobacco... go figure?
Shit... my apology as I’m going on way too much and here is the bottom line.

Keeping into consideration that I still smoke cigarettes (yes, I’m trying to quit, or at least cut down drastically) and that I only average about two bowls a day what is your consensus?
Should I give pipe smoking a rest for a few days… longer?
Give up on aro’s and only smoke non-aro’s?
Stop aro’s and revisit them at a later date?
Purchase a bubble pipe with a good stock of bubble solution and move to Bora Bora with Penelope Cruz?
Please, don’t recommend the later as the last time Penelope was over we had a terrible argument and I kicked her sorry ass out.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Just give up on aro's. I don't taste anything when I smoke them either. I've tried for the sake of my wife, but nothing. I do like lakeland tobacco's very, very much which are quite aromatic, but have much taste and strength. Maybe that's what your looking for.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
I smoke at 3 of the blends you smoke and maybe 4 more which are aro's also. Some times i feel the same way but i switch up.My normal morning smoke is Lat but sometimes i'll give it a rest and smoke nothing but the Captain for breakfast. Some times i'll get radical and jump to Blackwoods flake.Afternoon some Prince Albert or some Raspberry creme. In the evening i might pull out the old saxophone meer and fire up some Capt Black Dark or if the mood strikes some completely different like some 1792 or Sweet Coconut Twist. Change it up enough and when you get back to your aro's you will taste them again.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Well I'll toss my name in the hat on this topic.Maybe you could try a stronger cased blend and see if you can taste that? Probably the strongest cased tobacco I've tried was Russ monthly blend Snow Drift. http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/77410/russ-monthly-blend-snow-drift/ Good luck :puffy:

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I say take a break from the aros and go back to them later. Some non aro tobacco blends are very dynamic and flavorful.
I highly recommend Irish Oak by Peterson if you want to cut down on cigarette consumption. The taste will surely satisfy you and the thirst for vitamin N will definately be quenched.
Peterson Irish Oak

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
From my own experience as a 35 year cig smoker (ex for the last 2 months) and new pipe smoker I can tell you that I started out with aro's and bought about $200.00 worth of all the different baccy's most recommended. And I smoked and enjoyed them for a short time. After about 2 to 3 weeks of smoking I could not tolerate them anymore. I could not taste what I wanted to taste. I realize that to some the smell of Latakia is a turn off until your used to what it is your smelling. But, I would highly recommend a blend such as Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River. It has some Latakia in it, but not too much. It will introduce you to another flavor of tobacco without over powering your senses. Give these types of tobaccos a chance. Learn the flavors of what the REAL tobacco varieties have to offer without the casings and toppings. There is a reason why we like to smoke them. It's like scotch.. it's an acquired taste, but once you understand and appreciate it, there is nothing else quite like it.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I've never encountered this. Perhaps it's because I don't smoke everyday, but I love all kinds of blends and find enjoyment in them. I never smoked cigarettes either, so maybe you've burned your tasters out on those, but that strikes me as odd since you could taste them before. As for latakia, I completely understand since when I first started, I tried Peterson's Old Dublin. It was awful. It smelled awful in the tin; it's room-note was putrid. I hated it. Then I tried some cross-over blends with latakia as monty55 suggests. C&D Consolation was a real help for this. Don't get me wrong. If you don't want to like them, there's plenty out there to keep you busy.
As dottiewarden pointed out, if you're really looking to quit the nails, a blend with a higher Nicotine content might suffice. Personally, I'm a Vitamin-N lightweight, but for some reason some blends which are known to be high in Nicotine, don't affect me as they do most others. Peterson's Irish Oak is one example. Five Brothers (which smells like cigarettes to me), MacBaren Old Dark Fired are some others.
YMMV
-Jason

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Phil67 that is just tragic.Being a newbie i don't think i can recommend anything.But just wanted to let you know we got your back and i'll be praying for ya.I just can't imagine not being able to have a bowl or two everyday.Yikes.keep puffin on.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
This same thing happened to me. Out of the blue one day, I just couldn't taste aro's anymore. It was a strange thing.
I still smoke aros and love them to death as I like to smoke them for, as stated their name, their aroma. I can still faintly taste the flavorings, but not quite as much as before.
I'd say just keep at em. If you enjoy them still without having to get a mouthful of flavor, keep on smoking it.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I consider myself a tobacco slut because I smoke around a lot. I generally stick with Virginias. Straight or with Latakia or with a little Cavendish or Oriental or Burleys. I like Burleys with Latakia or Cavendish or Orientals or all three. My current favorite aros are 7 Seas, Dan's Devils Holiday, Golden Dansk and Trout Stream. I hear ya on the Lane's 1Q, hard to taste it is that mild.
Being a Louisiana native I've tried really hard to like Perique. I just can't fool myself into liking it.
In my book, variety is the spice of life and hate to get stuck on a limited selection :wink:

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Many pipists "graduate" from milder to stronger tobaccos as they "progress". I put this in quotes as I strongly suspect our tastebuds get dulled through repeated smoking or eating spicy foods. The reason your memories of childhood are so much more vivid is because your eyesight was so much better then! Living in China, I have had the opportunity/misfortune to get to know real Sichuan food, which is ridiculously spicy. Having recently discovered a company which sells genuinely "numbing" Sichuan spice, I have been experimenting with dishes which would make your average curry-lover blanch. But after a day or so, I can still taste non-spicy food....so far!

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Meh...Aro's. I keep a few of them around for when I'm smoking with the family in close proximity. But when I run out of them (which can't be too soon) I'll be done with them. I wouldn't mind trying the Lakeland stuff to see what that's all about, but right now, I'm to busy with the VA's and English/Balkan blends to spend a lot of time on Aromatics. Something tells me I should at least try the Molto Dolce since I've seen lots of people on the forums recommend it. But again, I'm not in a hurry to buy a tin.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Great input guys and I thank you. I might possibly try out some of the blends recommended, but I think that some may perhaps have misunderstood. I'm not really looking for a good/strong aro, but was simply stating that I've lost the ability to taste them and they just don't seem to satisfy me any longer. It makes no difference to me what type of tobacco I smoke, be it an aro or non-aro, but simply something that does the trick.
I'm enjoying some of the Va's and the VaPer's, and other non-aro's. Matter of fact, I smoked a bowl of PSLBF and a bowl of Wesssex BCDF yesterday (damn, that shit is GOOD!). Months ago I tried Peterson's Irish Oak but I wasn't all that crazy about it, but I'll give it another go as the first time I tried it I was smoking the aro's so it was obviously something quite different. I'll also eventually try out some of the milder Latakia blends as recommended and see what shakes. I’m also thinking of trying out some Mac Barren ODF and Astley’s No.44. I might also give a shot with the GW Ennerdale as for an aro, but other than that no more ordering any aro’s as I already have enough to choke a water buffalo!
derfargin wrote:
Something tells me I should at least try the Molto Dolce since I've seen lots of people on the forums recommend it. But again, I'm not in a hurry to buy a tin.
Yes, when I first tried it I thought it was great and ended up ordering three more tins. However, now when I smoke it it’s like I’m simply blowing out smoke with absolutely no taste whatsoever. However, it certainly leaves a nice smell for those around you. Bottom line... I certainly wouldn't be in any rush to get it.

zenforest

Lurker
Jan 4, 2013
I think its possible that Cigarette smoking may have damaged your taste buds. In the past if I had spent several days/weeks sipping on strong Bourbon, I also noticed I was having trouble tasting my Aromatics. I think the whiskey was killing my taste buds. I did some research, and learned your taste buds grow back. Takes a week or two. So I gave the drinking a break, and sure enough, the taste of my Aromatics slowly came back. I think your still able to taste the stronger non Aro's at times because they tend to be stronger....bolder tastes....but I would guess your Taste Buds may need a break.
Good Luck !!

Status
Not open for further replies.