PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
We struck camp before noon and headed home in the snow Thursday, the earliest snow in the Rapid City area since 1888. Just a few days before it was near 90 degrees, and then the cold front settled in. Two days of continuous light rain in 40-degree temps. And then Wednesday night the temp went below 30. By morning it was snowing.
My wife doesn't rise as early as I do. I just can't stand lying in bed past 6 or so. Get too antsy. So I headed up the trail, my Stanwell 198 loaded with Newminster 403 Superior Round Slice. I found a tree to lean against as I softly sipped at my first morning bowl, big downy flakes crashing into the wet ground around me on a beautifully serene, dark morning. Silence but for the occasional sizzle of errant flakes meeting my pipe's ember.
I was hoping to catch a glimpse of some Big Horn Sheep, but all I got was a big doe Muley crossing from treeline to treeline in front of me.
I wished I had the fedora we bought later. Nice heavy felt one, something like Indy's -- the only thing missing from a perfect piping moment.
Two bowls and then I returned to start breaking camp, packing the truck, and heading home to Minnesota under a winter weather advisory.
Earliest snowfall since 1888

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Sounds like fun. We turned off the AC and my wife wanted to turn the heater on, here in Chicagoland.

Mar 31, 2014
Th Black Hills puts Mount Rushmore to shame, in my opinion. Beautiful place. It's a very sacred place for a lot of people, mainly Lakota...I think. Don't quote me on that. Big land dispute about the Black Hills, if that's up your alley of interest.
Nice new avatar!

Status
Not open for further replies.