PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I've been wanting to try this for a few years, and just never got around to it. I finally ordered some recently, to try, and if I liked it I'd order some more to save for the Christmas season. I opened my first tin tonight, and was given the gift of a great room note.
Inspired by the Christmas carol penned in 1857, the first Christmas carol written in the US to achieve widespread popularity, "We Three Kings" is C&D's 2014 Yuletide tobacco offering and alludes to the magi who traveled to the nativity bearing exotic spices and treasures. One part black Cavendish is met with equal measures of the "Three Kings" of red Virginia, bright Virginia, and Katerini Turkish, transforming this blend into true holiday magic with flavors of allspice, cinnamon, and vanilla.
You can imagine the tin note was indeed lovely, and the scent of the components was detected easily enough, I think.
The cut is mainly a fine ribbon cut of the virginias, with chunks of black cavendish and perhaps some of the Katerini turkish being a bit chunky as well. The tobacco is not overly moist, and in fact seems to be just about perfect for smoking right out of the tin. I let mine sit out a few minutes regardless.
Char light was lovely, with flavors of vanilla and a hint of cinnamon greeting my tongue and my nose. Tobacco flavors were there, not washed out by the aromatic flavoring. But then after tamping down the char light, all flavor became very mild, but began to pick up quite well again after a few short minutes. About late mid-bowl I began detecting a scent and taste that were quite fruity... the allspice perhaps? Regardless of what it was, it was quite enjoyable. I detected absolutely no tongue bite. Nicotine was there enough just to say, "Hello." And the tobacco burned very nicely, with three relights. One relight because I set the pipe down for a couple minutes.
All in all, I found Cornell & Diehl's We Three Kings a very enjoyable smoke. And one that I think will be enjoyed much more with cooler weather. I'll definitely be ordering a few more tins of this for the holidays. Lovely stuff. :puffy:

Reactions: Joey M

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Good read. The spices came through on that and Golden Days of Yore. They were overpowering on my first smokes. Corn Cob Pipe & Button Nose had a buttery trim the tree with stringed popcorn flavor, so sweet an savory.

Jan 8, 2013
Bumping to continue my thoughts on this blend.
I'm currently smoking my second bowl of this. I've had to relight three times already, but the chamber is a bit narrower in this Moonshine Deviled Egg, than in the Peterson 106 I first smoked this in. That may be playing into it or not. Other than that, it's still burning quite well, and I'm still having a similar experience to the first smoke. The vanilla seems a bit more pronounced in this pipe, while the other flavors appear to be less noticeable. I puffed on the pipe a bit vigorously for a few moments to test heat and bite, but the pipe refuses to get too warm, and I still detect absolutely no bit whatsoever. I'm still on that third relight, so who knows, it may very well smoke as well as the first bowl. Two thirds into the bowl, I'm not yet detecting that fruitiness I discovered in the first bowl.... Oh and here comes the fourth relight :lol: But that's ok. Four lights is still burning quite well. I do seem to be getting a bit more cinnamon now... I think... it could be my imagination... no it's really there. Just a hint though. Don't seem to be picking up the fruitiness, what I thought to be the allspice just yet.
Forgive me if this seems choppy. I'm smoking this while watching the Orville and pausing the show to add my notes about the smoke.
Relighting a fifth time. I don't mind. I seem to be coming to the end of this bowl and I'm quite pleased again. I should have tried this blend a long time ago. Two bowls in, I'm very happy with it. Contemplating another bowl later in another pipe. Perhaps something with a wide conical chamber such as one of my Nordings. I wish I could get this in bulk, but it seems to be sold only in tins. This is one I'd like to stock up on. I give it four out of five puffys.
:puffy: :puffy: :puffy: :puffy: I'd give it four and a half puffys but there's no way post half an emoticon...

txpiper07

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2017
Great review and updates. I’ve never heard of that blend, sounds like one that needs to be tried!

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
I'll have to look for some of that, always up for trying any blend I can find! Thank you for the lovely review.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
I have a couple pounds of Corn Cob Pipe. Recently wanted an 8 oz tin of We Three and Golden Yore. I had Pipe Nook order them Price was the same and his shipping is 5$ regardless of size. Since the lowest you can get by on the others is about 4$ but have to order a hundred to not get charged up to 10$ I was happy with Pipe Nook. Took a week, but I was in no hurry. I plan on keeping them buttoned up until next year. Already have open tins. I am a Christmas lover so when someone brings up Holiday type items I really enjoy them. Especially as a lonely lover of aros that get no respect

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
I think you will find the Golden Days of Yore a perfect companion to Three Kings. Corn Cob P&BN is in a different category. The tin notes on all three are worth the cost of admission

Jan 8, 2013
Golden Days of Yore indeed sounds nice, David. Like We Three Kings, but with nutmeg, chocolate, and dark rum added to it. Might give it a try.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It likely varies from person to person, but the spices in holiday blends can really burn my mouth. I think cinnamon is a big offender. The spices and flavorings in Peretti's Thanksgiving Day -- anisette, citrus, fruit -- don't present a problem. Non-aro blends don't seem to bite or burn, or rarely, or much less.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
MSO, you are so right (as usual). I had a raw spot on my tongue from too much salty food. Those spices found that spot right away. I stay away from them until I have cleared sinuses and no abrasions. Then I love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.