PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is an ingenious blend from C&D, not a match to Dunhill Mixture 965, but distinctive and enjoyable.
Here's the description at pipesandcigars.com:
Tuggle Hall has often been compared to Dunhill 965, but the components are different. There are some taste similarities, and the blend has a rich, sweet character all its own. The Perique element adds a spiciness that makes Tuggle Hall intriguing.
I didn't love it immediately, but after a few bowls, it occurs to me that it is uniquely tasty. The base is Cavendish, fancy that.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I've been wanting to try for months but every time I place my order it's sold out. Enjoying star of the east. Epiphany not so much..

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
I had placed several orders for star of the east flake from an online vendor, each time (3) i received the equivalent number of tuggle hall tins instead lol. They all had some age on the so I ended up just keeping them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
btp, I bought my Tuggle Hall from PC in bulk, didn't even know it came in a tin. It took a few bowls to understand what I was tasting, but then I had a breakthrough smoke. I feel C&D might do for Cavendish what they did for burley, in terms of making it more of a premium blend tobacco than before. In Tuggle Hall, Cavendish has strength of taste along with its volume in burning, and really supports the Perique.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
From the August 1999 Blend List:
3fwsPZP.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
chase', I was just going off the spec blurb at PC's site where Cavendish is shown as the base (or co-equal) leaf.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From PC:
Profile:

Tobacco:

Cavendish, Latakia, Perique

Style:

English

Room Note:

4 - Distinct

sokrates

Lurker
Mar 28, 2018
This is one one my favorite blends. I went through a period when I was looking for tobaccos that resembled Dunhill MM 965. Tuggle Hall and Beck's Ole Limey Bastard were the two mentioned the most. Tuggle Hall and Ole Limey Bastard are both great smokes and I find I prefer them to MM 965. Go figure.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was mystified before and after smoking Tuggle Hall why C&D made the association by using the number 965. I don't really find the blends similar. If it drew people to try Tuggle Hall, I think that's good, but I don't see much comparison. Tuggle Hall is kind of innovative. Cavendish has been an aromatic base leaf and a staple bagged tobacco forever, but this gives it a whole new personality. I think C&D worked hard on proportions with this. It gives the smoke plenty of body, but not so you immediately think of Cavendish. chase', I was pretty surprised when I read the Cavendish association myself -- it was like, huh? Also, I'm always a little critical of the pro forma use of Latakia and Perique in seemingly everything, but this is a real curve ball and makes them new again.

Status
Not open for further replies.