PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Alright, another aromatic.
Red and Bright Virginias, Turkish Leaf with a splash of maple and rum. Smells like Butter Nut Rum in the tin. The Butter nut rum is there at the first light, the virginias are hay and grassy. The Turkish seems to add a bit of nuttiness. As it smokes down the topping stays with the smoke, sweetening the tobacco. I had to smoke this slow to get much flavor from it. It's better than the average aromatic, the tobaccos are good quality, the leaf doesn't deteriorate, but the topping does in the last third of the bowl; Leaving this blend in the OTC camp. IMHO. It smokes hot, so I'm thinking of leaving whatever I smoke in the tin overnight to kind of dry out, it's not sopping wet, but wet enough that the topping screws with the smoking mechanics. I suspect the room note is nice enough to smoke around a crowd. If aromatics are your thing, check it out. I probably won't buy another tin. Every time I smoke an aromatic I secretly wish I was smoking GLP Union Sqaure, C&D Haunted Bookshop, or a nice Vaper.

May 4, 2015
I secretly wish I was smoking GLP Union Sqaure, C&D Haunted Bookshop, or a nice Vaper.
Nothing wrong with that, but if I'm honest, that String Duster sounds pretty swell! I appreciate the way C&D handles aromatics.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Good review. I like the new era of lightly topped aromatics. For a while, there were too many blends that were just like the junk food in stores, first ingredient water, second sugar, and then third, the stuff you were trying to buy in the first place.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I tend strongly toward non-aromatics, but in a very picky way, I like some aros in the rotation as a change of pace. These must be tobacco-forward, with high quality base tobacco, and the flavoring has to set off the particular tobacco(s) in question. Many aros are refined and excellent; many others, to me, are perfectly awful. If I'm hit with a wall of non-tobacco flavor, such that I am tying myself in a knot to taste the tobacco, if any, no thank and no thank you.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I've smoked my third bowl, same cob I use for Autumn Evening. Getting more maple of course, but it seems to have the same qualities as I noted above. A little air out time really benifits this one. I jarred the tin, placed a little in the tin overnight to allow it to get some air time. String Duster is a great morning smoke with coffe or tea. I personally like the maple and rum, the tobaccos are nice and sweet There may have been some high expectations going into this one. Expecting a big rum note, less maple, but maple was mentioned first. Maple lovers will probably like this better than Autumn Evening, I do. More complex, brighter in flavor and the rum adding a different dimension. Where Autumn Evening is a Maple blow out with earthier stoved red virginias.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Yea Deathmetal, this ain't candy, or the kind of aromatic that reminds me of cheap Black and Mild plastic tipped cigar. Need a change, this stuff provides that, then it's back to OJK.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
That last sentence confused me. You say AE is a maple blowout but that maple lovers will like string duster more. Did I read that right? Just wanting to be sure because I have wanted more maple flavor than found in AE and it sounds like Duster may be the answer.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
You're right about "Maple Lovers". Should have said Something like "the Occasional Aromatic smoker". I must have started a thought and didn't complete it. :crazy:

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
Is this blend pressed or loose? After the Chicago Pipe show I found a mystery crumble cake in my bag of CD samples. It is a lite aro and sounds kind of similar to your review.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
It seems to be a pressed cake that was cut and tumbled out. There are partial flakes running throughout the tin. Smoking it in a pipe that has been used for maple blends will hype up the maple note, so I suggest a new cob, or a briar that you use for lighter aromatics. I don't think this blend will ghost as bad as Autumn Evening. The tobaccos are excellent, a few days out of the tin have really improved this blend. It's everything I said it was, but more time with it has change my stance on getting another tin. I gave it 3 stars on Tobaccoreviews.com, it's a solid 3.
By the way, most say to review a blend when you're done with the tin. I like to give a running thread of a tobacco. More discussion about it and how it changes over time creates a better understanding for the interested buyer.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I do the same with the "Tasting Notes" I've started to keep. There are some things which are not immediately present, and most importantly, the synergies emerge over time.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
The maple flavor has really settled down. More of a syrupy Rum now, with a bit of butter.. Sweet. Ill have to make some addition notes on Tobaccoreviews.com. I'd buy this again. Something that originally was not my cup of tea became a nice addition to my rotation. Air and time really turned this blend around for me.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Ok I'm a sucker. I went from, eh, I'll skip buying another tin to yep, I bought another tin. The Maple Rum topping has me slapping my chops to try Hyde Park. Supposed to be another maple/Rum blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.