PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Star of the East Flake is one of the most unusual English-type blends I've ever smoked. It's taken me more than half a tin to even begin to get a handle on it. But hopefully the following notes will help others who are interested in exploring what is a unique smoke.
SOTEF arrives as a very broken flake, so it only requires minimal rubbing out to prepare it for the bowl. On the first light, it is immediately evident that this is a Red Virginia-forward blend, with Izmir playing a supporting role and latakia -- despite the tin claims that it makes up 50% of the blend -- only appearing condimentally.
At the start, the stoved, sweetened Red Virginias dominate with a level that borders on overly rough and harsh. (If you don't enjoy -- or can't tolerate -- Red Virginia, you will not enjoy this tobacco.) For the first third of the bowl, there is very little but Red Virginia in the smoke. And after that point, things get very strange for what is ostensibly an English blend. It gets sweet. Very sweet. And that's also the point where the Izmir begins to make itself known, combining with the Virginia to make for an enjoyable and rich smoke. Izmir is one of my favorite orientals, and it works quite well here, supporting the sweetness of the Virginias and helping to smooth out the Red's rough edges with its own gentle tang.
Once you pass the midway point, the sweetness begins to dissipate, but it never disappears altogether. And it's also at this point that you can occasionally pick out the latakia in the blend. The leaf all seems to really gel at this point. For the rest of the bowl, it comes together for a rich, softly incense-scented smoke.
I think what confounded me with this blend is that intense sweetness, which is something I am definitely not used to finding in a so-called English blend. But, then, this never really smokes much like a typical English. The Red Virginias set it apart from most other English blends. And the latakia is so much in the background that it never provides the kind of "campfire" experience most English lovers expect. And then there's that sweetness. I'm not entirely sold on its presence in an English blend. (Certain of the Frog Mortons are sweet, but not to this level. And in those blends, the Virginias are smoother, rounder, not as sharp and rough-around-the-edges as Red Virginia tends to be.)
All of which to say that this blend is probably not for everyone. It is a bit unbalanced for at least 1/3 of the bowl. And if you love latakia, you'll feel that it's too understated here. But if you're in the mood for a change-of-pace from the standard Virginia/Oriental/Latakia mixtures, this might just be your cup of tea.
Bob

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That was a great write-up. It tells me everything I need to know. I was doing some fence-sitting when making purchases;

but I think I'll include a tin of SOTEF on my next order. I'd love to try a Red Va/Oriental with subdued Latakia.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
SOTE non-flake is my daily go-to smoke. I have about 50 lbs. cellared. And I've been smoking 3 to 5 bowls of the stuff daily for the past four or five years. I never tire of it. Although at 50% Latakia, like the flake version, it is by no means a Lat bomb. You're right about the Red Virginias and Izmir leaf, it makes the blend almost an Oriental in composition. For instance the Lat is much more forward in Engine 99, Campfire, Odessa and Red Odessa, blends that have often been compared to SOTE. Thanks for the review on the flake. I mainly smoke the non flake on account of it's availability in bulk. The flake marries the blend more than the bulk, but I feel the bulk offers more flavor in the Oriental department. Good stuff. Good stuff indeed, and at a price that can't be beat, I might add.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Thanks for the review. I've been wanting to try this blend and now I'm sure my next order will include Star of The East.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I may have to puff a few more bowls of each, but I have the impression that the SOTE Flake has a slightly different Oriental than the parent SOTE. I find myself preferring the flake for its flavor. Maybe I need to order some SOTE pressed, through Marscigars or C&D directly.
hp

les

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I love the flake, have yet to try the original. Your experience is interesting-I was looking for a lat bomb and was pleasantly surprised to find a relatively balanced oriental style blend, but the latakia is still very prominant and forward for me. It's like latakia with some spice (Izmir) and smoothness (which is probably how my palate is interpreting the Virginia). Definitely one of my top three.

Status
Not open for further replies.