C&D Serenity Series - KInda Creepy?

(37 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by sablebrush52
  • Latest reply from aldecaker
  1. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

There's something about this series that just creeps me out. The tin art for Consolation and Repose looks like an escapee from a Victorian funeral while Reverie and Comfort have the sort of artwork one might see on circa 1970's "feminine health" products. The sales pitch doesn't help. Is this a stealth series aimed at women pipers? Has anyone smoked these?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

They do have a unique character -- atypical of the run of the mill tin art.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Inspired by the Frog Morton series?

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried Bridge Mixture and I'm having a hard time keeping it lit

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. snowhill

snowhill

Login to Send PM

I did notice the series' artwork. The first thing that jumped out to me was the tin art for Repose. It just might be impossible to read for people with certain types of color blindness (where reds are indistinguishable from darker blues/purples). Consolation might fall into the color blindness problem category, too.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. swilford

swilford

Login to Send PM

There's something about this series that just creeps me out. The tin art for Consolation and Repose looks like an escapee from a Victorian funeral while Reverie and Comfort have the sort of artwork one might see on circa 1970's "feminine health" products. The sales pitch doesn't help. Is this a stealth series aimed at women pipers? Has anyone smoked these?

The Serenity Series first came out ages ago (I can't remember; 2004 maybe?) and all are blends created by William Serad, with assistance from Craig Tarler.

The revamped artwork was done by Calvin Miller, head of marketing for Laudisi (parent company to C&D and Smokingpipes.com etc), with a nod to the late 19th century Arts and Crafts Movement (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arts_and_Crafts_movement). Think William Morris.

We definitely weren't shooting for creepy when we updated the tin art for these...perhaps seeing the whole label instead of just a front shot makes this more obvious.
    Here's Comfort:
    http://assets.smokingpipes.com/images/CD_Tin_Art/RNON-3122.pdf
    And Consolation:
    http://assets.smokingpipes.com/images/CD_Tin_Art/RNON-3113.pdf

Anyway, not sure if any of that makes it less creepy, but thought it might be of interest.

As a side note, Bridge Mixture isn't part of the Serenity series.

Sykes

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I saw the serenity series advertised, I was too busy figuring out how I thought the constituent tobaccos would blend to think about the language, but now that sablebrush mentions it, there is something resonant of the funeral chapel in the names of the blends, even Bridge Mixture, and certainly Solace and Comfort. Would you like to view the aged blend? Sign the guest book?

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Man, thinking about it in funeral terms, even the names of the blends sound like words in a eulogy.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Right up Nate's alley? I bought a tin of Comfort, and Repose, but haven't opened them yet.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

Spot on Sablebrush. I hate C&D tin art so much it's almost as bad as Mac Baren

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know it's way off topic, but has anyone actually tried what's inside the tins?

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Afraid soylent green may be a component?

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Generally, I enjoy C&D blends. I think they are the master burley blenders right now. I like Billy Budd, Old Joe Krantz, Dark Burley, Big'n'Burley. Riverboat Gambler is not a big seller, but I have a tin I've aged that I'm thinking will be quite good; we shall see. When someone tries one of the Serenity Series blends, I'd like to hear about it. The macabre tone of the names of the blends probably don't matter.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yo wo

I'm particularly fond of an original Serenity, Longevity. It is a huge Lat, using Syrian. Then after the fire, C&D created Longevity II, using Cyprian. I have significant stocks of both, so I'm happy. I have puffed most of the other Serenity series, and find them whimsical. Wm. Serad came to last Thursday's Morley's and we chatted about these reissues. He was bemused by C&D's decision to reintroduce these blends. I'm guessing that since they pre-date the FDA's 2007 Deeming date that they are worth trying to re-establish a market for.

hp
    les

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Les, I find it interesting that C&D is trading on William's name, but didn't bother to tell him about the reissue.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

I've never tried them, but I look forward to it. I love 70's feminine health products.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made. -Groucho Marx
    Mouse-catcher on The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  17. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Got that not so fresh feeling Mayfair?

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

@Chasingembers - Yeah, them pipe cleaners don't help this time of the month.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

@Chasingembers - Yeah, them pipe cleaners don't help this time of the month.

Not even fluffies?

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I absolutely agree! I was really curious about these blends but the tin art was so off-putting I decided not to. I think creepy is a pretty good descriptor. They needed to flesh out the product description to overcome the oddness of the label, but I recall it being minimal at release.

Anyway, this may be the first time tin art has served as prophylactic for TAD.

Sykes, the full band art does indeed look nice but it will be missed entirely by online shoppers. Imo put a pin in Mr Miller and see what the Sillyoldbear can come up with.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. tedswearingen

tedswearingen

Friend of Ours

Login to Send PM

Les, I find it interesting that C&D is trading on William's name, but didn't bother to tell him about the reissue.

We asked William for his permission to continue to make these blends and he gave it, for what it's worth.

Superior Service, Superior Quality, Superior Pipes - http://www.smokingpipes.com
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know it's way off topic, but has anyone actually tried what's inside the tins?

Kind of curious here myself... they look like fun.

These strike me as more Victorian in that, despite the rather theocratic names, they are designed to be under-stated, and that always impresses me more than the overblown.

Yep, back to the shopping cart to find out what is going on here... in-depth investigation is required!

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've tried Bridge Mixture. It's a shag cut (Dunhill style) Latakia, red Virginia, bright Virginia, red cavendish, perique, Turkish and dark fired. It's not Lat. Heavy, reminds me of Buffalo Soldier but more complex. I love it. I've smoked a tin and refused to do a review because, a) it changes so much from bowl to bowl b) I don't do reviews anymore c) to keep it from you tobacco hoarders, because I'm hoarding it myself

I don't know what your into Sable, but if you like a little Latakia in your Kitchen Sink Mixtures, you'll like Bridge Mixture.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 2 years ago #
  25. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is everything in the series based around the black cavendish?

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  26. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I don't know what your into Sable, but if you like a little Latakia in your Kitchen Sink Mixtures, you'll like Bridge Mixture.

Well, it sounds good. And I've regained my taste for Latakia, so maybe I'll give that one a try. Thanks!

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still don't get it... why are these creepy? Do you just creep out really easily? I don't see it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think I know what he is talking about. Scalloped shapes. They are creepy, like seashells and certain noodles.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Do you just creep out really easily?

Oh hell no.

But this funereal Victorian tin art, or the "springtime" '70's feminine hygiene product tin art work, with names like "Consolation" and "Repose" for the funeral art and "Reverie" for the hygiene art just strike me as a bit creepy when applied to pipe tobacco. I'm not suggesting that "Sweaty Balls", "Hanging Entrails", or "Demented Gazing Geezer" would be an improvement.

EDIT: Do I really want to be reminded of funerals when I'm lighting up a pipe?

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I think I know what he is talking about. Scalloped shapes. They are creepy, like seashells and certain noodles.

Exactly. It's part of the curse of being visual.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not suggesting that "Sweaty Balls", "Hanging Entrails", or "Demented Gazing Geezer" would be an improvement.
    I now have the names for my next three blends! Thanks, Sablebrush!

Personally, I applaud their choice of tin art for these blends. It's refreshing.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  32. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Exactly. It's part of the curse of being visual

Can you say that in semaphore, please?

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Can you say that in semaphore, please?

I could, but it would take up the entire server.

I think I know what he is talking about. Scalloped shapes.

Actually, I didn't really register the scallops, more the inward facing spikes surrounding "Consolation" and "Repose". Having seen the rest of the tin art helps resolve the intent, but that's not what's facing the viewer. And using a red for repose just doesn't work, but that's just art stuff.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To me, nothing says "art" like Times New Roman.

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At least it's not as bad as a D&R label....

Now, for the interpretative dance version of that comment... stay tuned.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ALL NOODLES ARE BEAUTIFUL

Especially in an arrabiatta sauce!

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm in the "funereal Victorian solemnity" camp. I think what really drove it home was after seeing this thread, seeing the SPC ad showing them stacked vertically. It looks like they'd have a carte de visite of a dead Victorian child inside like trading cards.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pylorns, elpfeife, mso489, dcon, litup, brooklynpiper, cigrmaster, alaskanpiper, tbradsim1